Italian Zinfandel Wine Kit - RJS En Primeur

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yooper, I would advise against doing anything to that kit which is outstanding on its own. If you feel you must do something, and depending on how you feel about oak, you could add a heavy toasted American Oak cubes in bulk aging and if you really want to push the envelop, perhaps a cup of raisin (with no additives like the SunMaid brand).

Thanks Rocky that’s what I wanted to know that it’s fine just the way it is. And really doesn’t need anything. I take it you’ve made one before?

You may be familiar with what I'm going to say but here goes. While Zinfandel doesn't generally benefit from the level of aging seen in some other reds, RJS's instructions are pretty quick. I suggest one more racking, then carboy (bulk) aging for 3 months before bottling. In addition, you never want to begin drinking immediately after bottling as the instructions suggest. I believe your wine will benefit from waiting at least a week for the first bottle, then fairly slow consumption where at least 1/2the wine will be around after 90 days.

Back