Italian Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justsipn

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I have only made French types of wines. I would like to delve into exploring Italian red wines. So, what’s your favorite? I’ve been thinking about one of these.

Super Tuscan
Sangiovese
Nero d’ Avola
Barolo
Nebbiolo

Any others I should consider? Favorite?

So, I have only made French types of wines. I would like to delve into exploring Italian red wines. So, what’s your favorite? I’ve been thinking about one of these.

Super Tuscan
Sangiovese
Nero d’ Avola
Barolo
Nebbiolo

Barbera, here’s a description from Wikipedia.
"Barbera is a red Italian wine grape variety that, as of 2000, was the third most-planted red grape variety in Italy (after Sangiovese and Montepulciano). It produces good yields and is known for deep color, full body, low tannins and high levels of acidity."

It's impossible to advise, as it's so subjective.

However, the current FWK Super Tuscan is made from all French grapes, as Sangiovese was not available. Matteo said it was formulated to match the Super Tuscan profile, so you'll get something new while being familiar.

We tasted ours the other night, at 2 months old. It's amazingly good, so I can recommend it.

It's impossible to advise, as it's so subjective.

However, the current FWK Super Tuscan is made from all French grapes, as Sangiovese was not available. Matteo said it was formulated to match the Super Tuscan profile, so you'll get something new while being familiar.

We tasted ours the other night, at 2 months old. It's amazingly good, so I can recommend it.
Yeah….I’m just asking for opinions. I know everyone’s tastes are different.

I am a big fan of the RJS Amarone. Have 12 gallons aging in the basement. I like it much better than the winexpert version.
On my hit list to do....

How long do you bulk age it for? On oak/what type?

Cheers!

On my hit list to do....

How long do you bulk age it for? On oak/what type?

Cheers!
Had not read about this wine yet.

Do you age yours the 2-4 years they say producers do?

I bulk age everything for at least six months, Amarone longer. The kit comes with some oak chips for use during primary. I also add about one tablespoon of tannin per 6 gallon kit and then one winestix French oak Medium toast for however long I bulk age. Finally, at least another year or more in the bottle before drinking.

The FW Super Tuscan is dynamite! The Private Reserve Fiero, Primitivo is excellent. Not available at this time since it was a limited edition kit, but if it becomes available it's definitely one to try. Most of the Valpolicella kits yield a very pleasant quick drinking wine.

Yeah….I’m just asking for opinions. I know everyone’s tastes are different.
You noted that I said I couldn't make a recommendation, but then did it? ;)

Super Tuscan is going to make the most recognizable wine, compared to French varietals, as Super Tuscans typically include French varietals. If you're interested, to paraphrase Monty Python, in something totally different? Go for any of the others.

If you have a local wine store where you can get good help, ask about Italian wines and purchase a few bottles before you make anything. Find out what you like before you start 23 liters.

If you want to start something now while you're figuring out the rest? Go with the FWK Super Tuscan. You will not be disappointed.

Super Tuscan
Sangiovese
Nero d’ Avola
Barolo
Nebbiolo

a lot depends on where the grapes are sourced

Super Tuscan
Sangiovese
Nero d’ Avola
Barolo
Nebbiolo

depends on where the grapes are sourced,
brunello clone and barbera from sonoma are very good, i make those in rotation.
i haven't heard anything good about the other verieties like nebbiolo montepulciano etc

a lot depends on where the grapes are sourced

depends on where the grapes are sourced,
brunello clone and barbera from sonoma are very good, i make those in rotation.
i haven't heard anything good about the other verieties like nebbiolo montepulciano etc
i forgot to mention primitivo from sonoma area, solid early everyday drinker

Super Tuscan
Sangiovese
Nero d’ Avola
Barolo
Nebbiolo

there also Dolcetto,Sagrantino - Nebbiolo does not do well in out side Piedmont -ive made it several times it but it doesn't even compare when grown in italy -Barolo and Barbaresco wines are made with the Nebbiolo grape - i don't know about the kits quality - I've always made all my wines from grapes
my go to has always been Barbera great table wine i always add a splash of petit sirah to it

Ihave made the following:

Nero D'Avola, Mosti Mondiale Alljuice. Loved this kit, making it for the third time (I only started making wine kits in latw 2019). 23 liters of juice, no wwater addition needed. Juic comes from Italy.

Super Tuscan, RJ Spagnols. I have one waiting to be made, again for the 3rd time. My second favorite, but top favorite of some relatives & friends.

Nebbiolo, WineXpert. I like this one too, but it tends to be too oakey for some people. My brother-in-law skipped adding the oak dust to the primary fermenter, and that cut down on the oakey taste.

I just got the WE Private Reserve Amarone kit delivered, and wondered if that’s the WE one you didn’t like as well as RJS? Any specific issue I should look out for? Thanks.

Ii is more of a I like the flavors of the RJS better, rather than any particular flaw in the WE kit. The RJS kit comes with both raisins and wine skins, I don't recall about the WE Kit I did, it was one of the older style kits some years ago.

One thing to suggest, add extra tannin to the primary and extra oak.go find the threads @joeswine has done with pictures about how he does the Winexpert Amarone kit, I did not do any of that. (It might have been before he did those)

Ii is more of a I like the flavors of the RJS better, rather than any particular flaw in the WE kit. The RJS kit comes with both raisins and wine skins, I don't recall about the WE Kit I did, it was one of the older style kits some years ago.

One thing to suggest, add extra tannin to the primary and extra oak.go find the threads @joeswine has done with pictures about how he does the Winexpert Amarone kit, I did not do any of that. (It might have been before he did those)
Thanks, I always appreciate your input. I’ve got plenty of oak, but no tannin. This kit comes with skins (2L). I haven’t done a WE kit yet, have only done RJS, but the sale price roped me in.

Thanks, I always appreciate your input. I’ve got plenty of oak, but no tannin. This kit comes with skins (2L). I haven’t done a WE kit yet, have only done RJS, but the sale price roped me in.
I just opened the kit and found 2 yeasts (RC212 and EC1118) and French oak cubes and med toast chips. Also, a large bag of skins. All goes in the batch, according to the instructions. I’ve not used 2 yeasts together before. My inclination was to use just the RC212. What is the advantage to combining the two? I have used both individually.

Latest posts

Back