Cellar Craft Italian Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon LR

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SG is already down to 1.025, wow that was quick. I have to mention that this is one of the most fragrant fermenting wines in primary I have ever done. I ferment in the kitchen and when I enter the garage (two rooms apart) I can smell the wine. It seems like only three or four other wines have had this noticeable aroma while in primary. Hope that's a good sign.

I ferment in the kitchen as well. My wife has complained about the smell for this kit as well as the WE Eclipse Pinot Gris. This Sang/Cab mix really was amazing as I could smell it even on the second floor.

Mine currently sits in secondary and I'm hoping for the best!

-Josh

I have a triple batch of this going and the initial SG was a little low (1.085) so I added simple syrup. I am a little skeptical at this point but I am trying to keep an open mind. I may be jumping the gun on my opinion but these kits do not seem the equal of the Cellar Craft Showcase line.

I was taken somewhat aback by the instruction sheet which offered as an alternative way to de-gas the wine to "shake the carboy." There must be a lot stronger guys than I making wine these days!

Mine started at 1.098

I started this kit on 4/29 and had an initial SG of 1.090. This was after mixing the grape pack well into the juice. The next morning I mixed the must again (vigorously) and checked the SG - it at 1.098.

I thought that this was pretty much right on, and it finished at .994, bringing it in at about 13.6 - 13.8 ABV depending on your calculation numbers. This seems about right for an old world style wine.

I know measurements carry a significant error band based on how one reads the hydrometer and the temps involved - but I think most of the old world styles should finish closer to 13.5 rather than 14+, more in line with the styles inspirations, but this is fodder for another discussion!

Did the clearing a few weeks ago and today I racked of the sediment. This is extremely clear, almost like it has been filtered. The body is not at all thin given how clear it is. (grape pack and raisins added) It actually has a bit of a nose, unusual for kits this young. And very nice berry taste that lingers at front pallet even tongue tip. It will sit in glass for a couple months then get three months in Vidal barrel. Now why didn't I get two of these kits?????

I made a triple batch of this wine and yesterday I racked, sulfited and de-gassed the wine. The SG readings for the three 6.5 gallon carboys that I had read from 0.994-0.995 but the wine still has a disappointingly sweet taste to it. I don't think that there can be much sugar left in it so it may just be a very strong fruit taste. It will be interesting to see what some time in bulk and bottle do to it.

Update on this wine:

I just did this wines final racking to a six gallon Better Bottle. I plan to have it sit there until it's 1 year anniversary in May at which point I will bottle. I had about a bottle left over that I put into a 22oz bomber and another 3 ounces that I drank.

Overall impression is very positive! As Tony mentioned, this one has a lovely berry noise that hits you right away. At first sampling, it was a bit tight as expected and the alcohol was noticeable. After a 10-15 minutes this wine really started to open up and was fairly well balanced. Very dry finish that was a bit harsh but I would expect this to mellow over time.

Oak was exactly where I wanted it and I was worried it might drop some over time so I added some medium cubes. Hoping this brings the oak a bit above what I want so it will balance to my level over time.

Overall, very happy with how this one is turning out!

-Josh

Another update on this wine:

Opened up a split last night and was still impressed. Still has the berry nose with more oak coming through than I remember. Taste wise, it has really come together. No noticeable alcohol but the oak is more prominent than I remember it being. Harshness at the end has rounded out and it's turning into a really nice wine. Getting more of the Cab and than Sangio now.

I will continue to drink it at this stage and see how it evolves.

-Josh

I am glad that his post popped up again because I did not update my experience. This wine turned out absolutely great. People that share my wine (family and friends) say it is one of my best.

We have opened a few bottles of this one already, mostly some splits. I've opened them about a month apart. Folks that try it seem to love it but each time I open one it seems very different from the previous. I guess it's still evolving and it may just be a parings issue. I do like it though.

Just bottled this one last week. Opened one tonight and I am very impressed, one of my best wines I've ever made! Light oak and nice fruit, very smooth. Its about 16 months at this point :)

Latest posts

Back