Cellar Craft Italian Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon LR

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
This is actually a KinRidge Showcase Collection kit replacing the Cellar Craft LR kits this year. But since I'm a CC customer from FVW and not KenRidge or Vinco I am posting here.

I just received this kit and was surprised at what I found. In addition to the juice bag a grape pack grape pack labeled "Italian Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon" indicating the grape pack is the same blend as the juice, nice! The kit has two packs of Chitosan and two packs of Kieselsol, must be a bugger to clear. It also has Lalvin Bourgovin RC 212 yeast, WE kits have been using that some. The oak is all French heavy toast, shavings and cubes. But the real surprise is the instructions, One large page with a circle cut out for the neck of the carboy. Very clearly written with day and target SG at every step. Best of all is a "hints" section suggesting things like fermentation temps, how to sue hydrometer, details about carboy sediment and how to rack, back sweetening and the use of sorbate. I don't know if these are typical KenRidge instructions or if they are new but the other kit makers (even the ones on their own Vineco family) should take note. Too bad I have two other kits on deck before this.

I have always wanted to do one of the KenRidge Founders kits but they're not very available down here.

Tony, thanks for the posting. I have three of that kit winging their way to Powell, Ohio from George. I expect delivery on Tuesday, March 26 and will do an 18 gallon batch. I am very encouraged by your findings.

Tony, thanks for the posting. I have three of that kit winging their way to Powell, Ohio from George. I expect delivery on Tuesday, March 26 and will do an 18 gallon batch. I am very encouraged by your findings.
I wish I had the basketballs to order three of the same LR kit, like that CC LR Rosso Fortissimo with the extra large grape pack or the WE Brunello or the RJS Toro, I could go on. Good for you Rocky.

Mike, I plan to order a 50 liter barrel from Vadai. My thought is to fill the 50 liter and one of my 23 liters and top off with a Sangiovese/Cabenet Sauvignon blend that I now have in bulk aging. I made this last wine from Chilean juice.

I did the KR North Coast Grand Red and loved the "presentation" so much (sounds same as the Sangiovese Cabernet) that I ordered that kit too. Just had to get another 2.6L super grape pack!

I did the KR North Coast Grand Red and loved the "presentation" so much (sounds same as the Sangiovese Cabernet) that I ordered that kit too. Just had to get another 2.6L super grape pack!

Started both of these today.;)

I plan to start my Grand Red today or tomorrow and am seriously considering this kit as well. I was reading through the instructions earlier and noted that they recommend NOT topping up. Is the Sangiovese/Cab the same? It also came with two kieselsol and chitosan packs. Instructions state to add one kieselsol, and wait 24 hours. Then add both chitosans, wait an hour and add the second kieselsol. Thought that was interesting.

Just purchased this kit from FVW as a birthday gift to myself. :) I wanted to do a Super Tuscan style wine so this is close enough.

-Josh

Josh, I like a Super Tuscan also. I was going to make one (using equal parts Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot...and yes, I know 1/3, 1/3 1/3 is not the normal blend) using juice buckets. When I got home from the supplier, I discovered that he did not give me the Merlot but gave me two Sangioveses instead. I went ahead a made the wine (2/3 Sangiovese and 1/3 Cabernet Sauvignon and added 2 Syrah grape packs to the primary) and I am calling it "Rosso Magnifico." The wine turned out great and I have it in the 6th month of bulk aging at present.

Prior to all of this, I had pre-ordered the LE Sangioves/Cabernet Sauvignon and have them now. I will be starting them soon and I will be interested to see how the the two wines compare.

Rocky, Paklab has a kit named Rosso Magnifico. Not even on the same page as yours. Yours sounds SO much better.

Rocky, that blend sounds very interesting and glad to hear that you are happy with the results so far. I haven't dipped my toes into juice buckets yet but I plan to this fall with the harvest.

My kit should be arriving later this week and I will probably get it going early next week. Keep us updated on your progress and I will do the same!

-Josh

Tony. I received my delivery of the Sangiovese/Cabernet look forward to getting it going. I noticed your post regarding the showcase range. I have done the brunello and amerone KR showcase and can say they turned out mega bold and full of flavour which sets this special edition up nicely.

One thing to point out though is that the showcase kits took some ageing to mellow. I tried bottles after 6 month and they were far to heavy almost sickly. After a further 6 months and they were amazing. I'd guess the heavy GP in the special will ensure the same waiting game. I also got the three vinyard white from that range. That came with a sweet pack. Prefer a dry white thinking of ditching it. Do you know much about them?

Latest posts

Back