Other Italian Montepulciano Wine Kit what yeast and should I add oak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kross

Reaction score
I making an Italian Montepulciano Wine Kit and was wondering if you had any yeast recommendation? There was no oak in the kit so what are your thoughts on adding that?

I making an Italian Montepulciano Wine Kit and was wondering if you had any yeast recommendation? There was no oak in the kit so what are your thoughts on adding that?

Montepulciano is made from Sangiovese grapes, as is Chianti. I have seen Sangiovese-based wines being aged in oak and in stainless steel. I don't think you could go wrong with or without oak.

Wayne

Montepulciano is made from Sangiovese grapes, as is Chianti. I have seen Sangiovese-based wines being aged in oak and in stainless steel. I don't think you could go wrong with or without oak.

Wayne

Montepulciano is not made from Sangiovese grapes, but is from Montepulciano grapes, which is a cousin of Sangiovese. But regardless of that, adding some French Oak to the wine is prefectly within the style. Expect flavors such as wild cherry, blackberry, boysenberry, and plum. You may also detect notes of dried tobacco, thyme, or oregano, although the taste will vary from one bottle to the next. Oak-aged Montepulciano wine has more pronounced fruit flavors and tannins, along with notes of chocolate, clove, and other peppery spices.

It's not quite that cut and dried. Sangiovese is the main ingredient in Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, while Montepulciano is not allowed at all. OTOH, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo does contain mostly Montepulciano grapes. I'm guessing, of course, but I bet any kit labeled "Montepulciano" is mostly Sangiovese, and that would be legitimate. I'd love to be corrected, and would especially like to know who makes that Montepulciano kit so I could try it.

Nevertheless, it doesn't change whether these wines are aged in oak or stainless steel. It's both. Some in one, some in the other.

I am guessing a kit wine named Montepulciano is based on the Montepulciano grape varietal and the prodigious but not DOCG Montepulciano D'Abruzzo, and not the Sangiovese grape which makes up the majority of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano which is DOCG.

If you were selling a kit in North America which was based on the Sangiovese grape you would typically call it by that varietal name, or say it was Chianti style, or even Brunello style if you wanted to evoke ultimate luxury. Or Super Tuscan if you blended Sangiovese with French varietals. Calling it Montepulciano would be confusing at best and bad marketing either way if you were selling a Sangiovese based kit.

Assuming I'm right and it is Montepulciano grape you don't need to oak it as it could be a nice quick drinking table wine, usually 11.5-13.5%, but perfectly fine to oak it too.

This is a good read on the differences: MONTEPULCIANO D’ABRUZZO OR NOBILE DI MONTEPULCIANO? - Binomio Azienda Agricola
MONTEPULCIANO D’ABRUZZO IS NOT NOBILE DI MONTEPULCIANO
also: A Beginner's Guide To Montepulciano Wine

kit examples: 1643320589845.pnghttps://www.justfinewine.ca/whats-new-cpt/montepulciano-the-return-of-a-classic/ This makes 100% clear it is not Sangiovese: "The Style: Montepulciano is the 2nd most planted grape in Italy (behind Sangiovese) and it makes a popular and classic Italian red wine."
Master Vintners Sommelier Select makes one too but their box doesn't list the varietal.

Attachments

• 1643320610761.png
    1643320610761.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back