• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Italian floor corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What makes the Italian floor corker better than the Portuguese floor corker. While I've never used an Italian floor corker, it does command almost double the price of the other.

The Portuguese corker I have had for the last four years does a great job and I consider it to be a good value for those wishing to upgrade from a hand corker.

What makes the Italian floor corker better than the Portuguese floor corker. While I've never used an Italian floor corker, it does command almost double the price of the other.

The Portuguese corker I have had for the last four years does a great job and I consider it to be a good value for those wishing to upgrade from a hand corker.

Looking at them side by side, the Italian has a longer handle and provides a greater amount of leverage over the Portuguese model. There may be other differences, but I think that’s the major advantage.

I have the Portuguese corker - it works just fine for me.

Both of the corkers work fine, I used the Portuguese for many years before buying the Italian. The Italian corker is slightly larger and has brass jaws which probably does add to the cost. Ultimately the Italian model does have a slightly more effortless feel during operation.

Just wish they would make an affordable automated corker. Not that young anymore and corking kills my back!

I have an Italian floor corker and my son-in-law has a Portuguese model. Both seem to work well and we are both happy with our choices. Intuitively, I think the metal jaws are a better design but I have no evidence to support that belief.

Just wish they would make an affordable automated corker. Not that young anymore and corking kills my back!

I've frequently thought of building a small platform for mine with some 2x4 or 2x6 and plywood - just to get it a few inches off the ground so I don't have to bend over as much.

I have had an idea for my floor corker which I have not pursued but I would like to do so. I spent part of my career as a manufacturing engineer and I am always looking for more efficient ways of doing things. I would like to rig a foot pedal to the bottle stand of the corker so that I could push down on the pedal with one or both feet to lower the stand and insert the next bottle. Has anyone tried this with either the Italian or Portuguese corker?

I will try the table process but that also seems like a lot of body movement when doing hundreds of bottles. You would think they would of come up with a little compressor that you hit a button and it pushes the cork in.

If you're handy you can add a pneumatic actuator, the main issue is safety, hit the button at the wrong time and your fingertip might end up in the bottle. Probably an easy job for @NorCal .

That would be a fun project. It would be easy to make functional, but difficult to make it safe in every situation. If you want to reduce the amount of force it takes to cork a bottle, add an extension to the handle.

Back