WineXpert Italian Deliceto - 2 months till 2-nd Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyB

Junior
Reaction score
Haven’t posted for some time now, but I have a question. I began a WE Italian Deliceto fermentation on Jan. 29, 2010 and made my 1<SUP>st</SUP> racking on Feb. 6, 2010. Since then, I haven’t done anything to the wine other than look at it. The head space in the carboy is about 6 – 8 inches and the airlock has remained intact. It has sat on the yeast and sediment for the entire time. Temperatures from65 to75 degrees F.I added an addition 1-lb of sugar diluted in 4-cups of hot spring water to the fermentation in order to kick up the SG. Have I waited too long to rack again?
Randy B

The wine will be just fine. These kits are extremely forgiving so relax and have a glass of wine.

I wouldn't wait any longer to stabilize, Randy. You need to get the extra KM added and top the batch up, imho.

I would certainly continue on with the process. If the directions say to leave the lees in for clearing, get it done now, otherwise I would rack off the sediment and add the k-meta. It will begin to pick up off flavors from decomposing yeast.

Appleman&gt;&gt;It will begin to pick up off flavors from decomposing yeast

The OP racked off the gross lees after 8 days ... I assume from the fermenter to a carboy ... so his wine has been sitting on the fine lees, so he shouldn't have a problem with off flavors.

I was also under the impression that decomposing lees flavor was more of a problem with real grapes and fruit ... not a kit.

Decomposing yeast is decomposing yeast no matter where it comes from. It isn't fine lees if it was racked at8 days- there is a lot of dead yeast in there, especially since he added more sugar. It has been two months- time to get it off the lees..

Back