Italian Blends

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

joeycannoli

Reaction score
Anyone care to share their Italian blends? Looking to get some ideas for a new batch this fall. Doesn’t necessarily have to be all Italian grapes. Curious to what else everyone is making out there and the ratio of their blends.

I am going to try a biferno this fall, which is a blend of Aglianico and Montepulciano

tullamore

Junior
Reaction score
barbera one of my favourites -i blend with 15 percent petit sirrah -still drinking my 2015
sangiovese and sagrantino blend - (85% sangio)
100% dolcetto - my go to pizza wine
barbera dolcetto nebbiolo(60,30, 10 %)o
100% nebbiolo
old school - go with Alicante and muscat(60,40 %)
100% nero d'avola - very underrated
sangio,merlot cab sav and syrah(60,20,15, 5 %)

joeycannoli

Reaction score
Those all sound good. Might have to try the Barbera one this year

dizzy

Reaction score
Getting married this fall and don't have a lot of time for wine, but I had so much fun (and, success?) making wine for our wedding want to try a little something. I've the skins from 40lb of WA cab still I want to put with some juice...been thinking about my grandma a lot this year, wanted to honor her with an Italian. Leaning towards Sangiovese but will keep it open to anything I hear about what's good this year...will pick up from Procacci this time.

joeycannoli

Reaction score
Who else has some recipes they want to share? Any super Tuscans or piedmonte blends?

Reaction score
I plan on trying to recreate a rosato from Sicily that is a field blend of Malvasia, Inzolia, Moscato, and Nerello Mescalese. Let the skins sit for 10 days then remove. Since I cannot get all those varietals I plan on modifying the blend a little and doing a Malvasia, Chardonnay, Moscato, and Nero d'Avola.

buzi

Reaction score
I did a super Tuscan in 2015. It was fantastic. 40% Sangio, 40% Cab Sauv, and 20% Merlot. Barbera on its own or in a blend is a great one too! Rhiannan is a good blend of mostly Barbera with a little Petite Sirah. The Ratio can change yearly and they might add a few other grapes in depending on the year but still a good value wine blend.

Latest posts