It Is Done

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally broke down and did it, and decided to go for the gusto. Just pitched yeast on my latest project, frozen grapes from Brehm, 2014 Zinfandel from Los Limones on Sonoma Mountain, purported to be one of their best reds in the last several years, they're fairly proud of it, and I'm hoping it lives up to its billing. Can't believe how many grapes are in a real wine must.

A current promotion landed me $100 off of a white with my purchase, got a Pinot Gris bucket for shipping cost. Columbia Gorge AVA, dry farmed at 1200' on Underwood Mtn.

Zinfandel - BRIX 29.5, Ph - 3.49, TA - 6.0. About a gallon of acidulated water brought it down to 24.5. Pitched BM 4x4 yeast about an hour ago. Plan to add MLB at 0 Brix, clear and bulk/barrel age when MLF has completed.

Pinot Gris - BRIX - 24.5, Ph 3.16, TA - 6.4. Decided not to reduce the BRIX, it looks and tastes like it's going to handle the alcohol, if it doesn't, I'll blend it with a weaker Pinot Gris later in the process.

Glad to hear you jumped in. I did the 2013 Cotturi Zin, what you have may be similar, it was very interesting, never had a Zin like that anywhere, probably is one of the best wines I've made. The finished wine aromatics are almost candy like, very difficult to describe; it actually is a true field blend as the vineyard is interplanted with Petite Sirah, Carignono, and Alicante. I'm sure you already know, add some yeast nutrients. Let us know how it goes.

In May, I'll be in Sonoma at the vineyard tour and winemaker's social with a few bottles of my wine.

Glad to hear you jumped in. I did the 2013 Cotturi Zin, what you have may be similar, it was very interesting, never had a Zin like that anywhere, probably is one of the best wines I've made. The finished wine aromatics are almost candy like, very difficult to describe; it actually is a true field blend as the vineyard is interplanted with Petite Sirah, Carignono, and Alicante. I'm sure you already know, add some yeast nutrients. Let us know how it goes.

In May, I'll be in Sonoma at the vineyard tour and winemaker's social with a few bottles of my wine.

Sounds interesting stickman, glad to hear yours came out so well. This one is supposed to be a really big wine, so keep your fingers crossed for me. I'll be jumping on the nutrients as soon as the lag phase is over, maybe a smidge of DAP, but mostly Fermaid K, in two doses.

Welcome to the "dark side"........ :sm

Funny Mike, I've been running to the light for a while, just not jumping into it. Ultimately, I think, because of the wines I like, destiny was unavoidable.

The Zin BRIX was a few points higher than I was expecting, but the calcs and adjustments were fairly easy, but my Ph dropped to 3.39 after the acidulated water addition. I'll have to deal with that I suppose before MLF.

John,

I think we might like the same things in a wine. Are you on Cellar Tracker by chance? LOL

I have noticed that adding acidulated water at the correct amount of water and tartaric still drops the pH even though your adding acid (supposedly at the correct amount as what would be found naturally).

Remember that once you add a wine that has been through MLF to your barrel it should only be for wines from fresh grapes. You don't want to go back and forth with kits and grapes and MLF in the same barrel.

I get grapes from the Lodi AVA and most of them come in high brix like that and I always have to water them back.

Funny Mike, I've been running to the light for a while, just not jumping into it. Ultimately, I think, because of the wines I like, destiny was unavoidable.

The Zin BRIX was a few points higher than I was expecting, but the calcs and adjustments were fairly easy, but my Ph dropped to 3.39 after the acidulated water addition. I'll have to deal with that I suppose before MLF.

Don't do anything to that PH yet, often times it goes up significantly by the end of the primary due to potassium from the skins. My Cab went from a PH of 3.36 to a 3.6 after primary, and then to a 3.82 after ML, I ended up dropping it back down to a 3.65 with tartaric acid during bulk aging. It's very good at this point.

John,

I think we might like the same things in a wine. Are you on Cellar Tracker by chance? LOL

I have noticed that adding acidulated water at the correct amount of water and tartaric still drops the pH even though your adding acid (supposedly at the correct amount as what would be found naturally).

Remember that once you add a wine that has been through MLF to your barrel it should only be for wines from fresh grapes. You don't want to go back and forth with kits and grapes and MLF in the same barrel.

I get grapes from the Lodi AVA and most of them come in high brix like that and I always have to water them back.

Are you implying that I'm secretly stalking your wine trends.........well, maybe. Just kidding. I've had some exceptionally big tasty Zins in the last few years, two from the Calistoga area, huge like cabs, I'm a fan.

I was disappointed that my Ph dropped post addition, my water was made meticulously to the same Ph as the must. I'm sure it's going to work out in the long run.

And yes, I'll be devoting one of the barrels to MLF'd wines only. Eventually, probably 2 of the 3, plus the ones I don't know I'm going to acquire yet.

Don't do anything to that PH yet, often times it goes up significantly by the end of the primary due to potassium from the skins. My Cab went from a PH of 3.36 to a 3.6 after primary, and then to a 3.82 after ML, I ended up dropping it back down to a 3.65 with tartaric acid during bulk aging. It's very good at this point.

Thanks stickman, I'm not going to mess with it, but I'm going to test and track the numbers as I move through fermentation and MLF. Hopefully, it'll ease up the scale a bit through the process.

BM 4x4 was starting to float the cap last nite, punched down before work this morning. Got home and the Zin was chugging along like a champ, cap 5" above the liquid, smells wonderful and the color has changed dramatically. VP41 and OptiML on the way for later. I'll take a SG reading later this evening and do a nutrient addition. I love grapes.

image.jpg

Can't go wrong with VP41, a work horse.
That packet is good to treat for up 66gal of wine.

After researching and reading about the options, availability and quantities, VP41 seemed to be my best choice, even for the few extra bucks. I have the White Labs MLB, but I've just seen too much written about the troubles of completing mlf with it, as well as the very extended time it seems to take when it does finish.

Will do second dose of Fermaid k tonite, expecting to be ready to press the skins in the next couple of days, Friday or Saturday.
Planning to press at around 2 BRIX, rack off of gross lees, and transfer to glass at that time. I'll rehydrate/inoculate with VP41 when it's in the carboy. I'll be at 74 degrees, and I'm assuming my Ph will be in range, anticipating an increase from pre fermentation. I won't use any SO2 til it's dry, keeping it under 50 ppm when it is time to add it.
I'd like some comments about that plan if I'm missing something. I'm not worried about MLF, and have studied and read exhaustively in preparation, but it's my first, so lay it on me, I'm open to suggestions.

Just be cognizant on the limit of SO2 that your ML bacteria can tolerate. I do 50ppm SO2 at crush, then do not add any SO2 until MLF is complete. The wine is protected by the CO2 being generated by yeast and/or ML bacteria. I do MLF under airlock, crush open bin.

Just be cognizant on the limit of SO2 that your ML bacteria can tolerate. I do 50ppm SO2 at crush, then do not add any SO2 until MLF is complete. The wine is protected by the CO2 being generated by yeast and/or ML bacteria. I do MLF under airlock, crush open bin.

NorCal, the SO2 tolerance ( total SO2 ) of VP41 is 50-60 ppm. Hence, why I intended to stay under 50. So you're saying you just let it roll with no SO2? I've read that's an option. I'm assuming the reasoning, less stress, healthier mlb, better fermentation. Not questioning your process, but I'd like you to share your thoughts.

I make my wine from fresh grapes and add SO2 at crush to kill off the native yeast, then not again until after mlf. The CO2 production will protect the wine and no need to potentially inhibit MLF.

Last edited:
Back