It is against the law to make wine/beer... Utah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
smiley7.gif

RANT:

OK, I just read this article in the paper in Utah (where I live).
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&amp;sid=2743796</span>

</span>

So, I
researched it and found this law in utah:</span>

</span>

32A-8-101.
Commission's power to grant licenses --
Limitations.
</span>

</span></span>(3) (a) A person may not manufacture any alcoholic beverage unless
an alcoholic beverage manufacturing license has been issued by the commission.</span>

</span>

This license is $300 a year
and $250 to renew it.</span>

</span>

</span>GRRRRRRRR
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
</span>

But are you a manufacturer? I know this is somewhat technical, but the lawyers that write these bills always make them technical so they can get more litigation fees. Don't these people know that wine and beer make themselves? If you left a vat of grape juice open to air and yeast found their way into YOUR juice and it became alcohol, would you be liable for allowing the yeast to infect your juice?

I can understand distillation because it does not happen without assistance, but wine will happen no matter what. You could wind up with vinegar, but the juice WILL ferment.

And we have people in this country that want MORE government. Go figure. Got any room left in Montana?

I believe Mississippi has the same issue. I read a story the otherday where there was a legislative bill to eliminate the law against brewing at home as well as raise the limit of alcohol in commercial beers but I guess it stalled in session and will not proceed.

Its not against the law to make wine ,Its againstonly ifyouget caught so just be carefull

Harry

In Illinois it is illegal to drive at night unless someone runs in front of the car with a lantern.
smiley36.gif

Back