It’s been a few years...trying my hand at mead this time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chirata

Reaction score
ibthink I have figured out my basic plan although I keep vacillating between making a rosehip mead or a apple cyser first. Either way I plan to make a 3 gallon batch of each however I only have 5 gallon fermenting buckets. I have 2 3 gallon carboys so once I rack them I have the appropriate sized carboys. My question is, is it harmful to ferment in a bucket that is double the size of the must?

Im confused on the math alone!! lol just saying.

Last edited:
You might Be okay once you rack. Your gonna lose some anyway

You just have to realize after starting with a 5-gallon fermenter your gonna end up with a couple gallons of wine! Seems kind of odd and not what most are going for. But Im not even sure Im reading this right lol

Your fermenting Bucket size should not even matter if that is what your asking lol Its gonna Be Blowing off so much gas Your fine if that's your only worry

Your fermenting Bucket size should not even matter if that is what your asking lol Its gonna Be Blowing off so much gas Your fine if that's your only worry

Thank you Tess
That was my question. I apologize if I wording it in a confusing way.

Fermenting in a bucket allows you to stir to degas, to keep the yeast ins suspension and if you feed the yeast nutrient during the first half of the fermentation the use of a bucket means that you don't have to worry about any particles you add nucleating the CO2 gas causing it to gather and rush up to the surface pushing columns of mead ahead of it. Having two gallons of head room in your primary is IMO, never a problem.

Latest posts

Back