Issue with dissolving campden tablet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlt22

Junior
Reaction score
I added a campden tablet (crushed) to my batch a day before I was planning to bottle per some guidance. The next day I noticed that it had not fully dissolved and now the fine white particles are throughout the batch (mostly on top). My searching across this and other forums yielded two common themes to resolve: 1) regular stirring and/or 2) attempt to rack it out. Other feedback suggested it'll "eventually" dissipate. It's been almost a week, and I've been stirring a few times a day and racked it once. Still not fully dissolved, albeit it does seem a bit improved. Is it just a waiting game at this point or is there another method to expedite that I haven't come across yet? Otherwise, the batch seemed to go very well - nice color, clarity, aroma, and ABV was right on the mark (for my taste). So, I really really don't want to chuck it.

Thanks in advance!

I gave up on campden tablets pretty quickly due to this problem. The Kmeta in it is the smaller part of the tablet, the rest is filler which must be really, really, really ground up to not cause issues. At least that was my experience with them.

They are nice for gallon sized batches, otherwise, they are PITA. Purchasing somewhat bulk (1 lb at a time) is significantly less expensive (1 lb costs $5, while 1 lb of campden tablets is about $15) and no crushing required. Dosage rate for 5-6 gallons is 1/4 tsp. I add mine to a small amount of water, stir well, pour in, no residue.

You should not have to chuck it. How long have you been aging? What are you making? I'd suggest you stop stirring and let it settle out and then bottle. Stirring may be adding too much oxygen to the wine.

You can try to strain the wine as you bottle either through a fine mesh or nylon bag. You could also just bottle and it will eventually dissolve or drop out in the bottle.

As noted you may want to use the powder or dissolve the table well before adding.

Purchasing somewhat bulk (1 lb at a time) is significantly less expensive (1 lb costs $5, while 1 lb of campden tablets is about $15) and no crushing required. Dosage rate for 5-6 gallons is 1/4 tsp. I add mine to a small amount of water, stir well, pour in, no residue.

Yep - dissolve powder in a little water first, then you'll know you're adding the full dose. I bought small, cheap but surprisingly effective mg scale so that I can weigh out the necessary small amounts. But K-meta/KMBS is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things, so you could just make up 10x what you need and add 1/10 the volume...

Thanks all! I think I'll wait it out a little bit more before bottling - possibly straining through my nylon bag. And great tips about the dissolving ahead of time; particularly with a sample of the wine itself.

I use both Campden tablets and k-Meta Powder. When making a single 1 gallon batch I just crush the tablet and if I'm racking, I add the WELL crushed tablet to the 1 gallon carboy before I begin racking. As long as the tablet is well crushed there should be no issue.
One other person has slightly different approach that will work too but you might waste a very small amount of K-Meta powder - They take 1/4 tsp and add it to 6 oz of water then add 1 oz of the mix to their carboy. After doing that the K-meta should keep for a few weeks at least if sealed well but if not.... it's not an expensive product anyway.
For the current situation - If there is still some power at the bottom of the carboy I would just give a good stir. Don't get to vigorous so you don't induce a lot of air but and few good turns with as stirring stick should get the job done

Latest posts

Back