WineXpert Island Mist white cranberry pinot grigio..harsh

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc294

Reaction score
I'm about 32 days. Sg's and the whole process when almost like a script. My wine is clear...nice "pg" color. But it smells and tastes a bit harsh and almost like a yeasty. Never racked it cuz of the instructions. I'm concerned because I have made two kits that I don't care for at all and my own recipe which was my second batch EVER is still my favorite. Help me!!!!! Should I rig up a filter?should I back sweeten? should I just wait? I'm not sure what happened because everything went so well.

dont the island mists come with an f-pack for sweetening?

32 days to drinkability is a little quick... 32 days to bottle maybe, but id give it at least 6 weeks in bottle to calm down from all the handling.

What he said.

Also, "never racked because of the instructions". Well, the instructions are trying to make it as simple as possible, and they do tell you that if you are concerned about stirring up the sediment to go ahead and rack it before bottling. My LWS advice was definitely to rack it (when the instructions say to bottle), and let it sit another month before even thinking about bottling.

I don't think there is any such thing as a 28 day wine kit, even though they claim it. I started the Island Mist WildBerry Shiraz 3 full weeks ago and I'm still fermenting!! My SG is .091 and still dropping, and that was after boosting the initial SG to 1.070.

well...I forgot the 3 P's first of all. Second, I went ahead and racked it and degassed it AGAIN and it is clear and MUCH softer tasting. So here's my plan. Another several weeks just letting it rest. THen bottle but it tastes rather drinkable right now. I get more nervous with these damn kits than I do my own recipes. So we'll just see how it turns out. Thanks for the input.

if its clear and degassed, not much to gain by bulk aging this style of wine. if you bottle, give it your 2-4 weeks to get over minor bottle shock and you should be GTG.

Latest posts

Back