WineXpert Island Mist question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertChartier

Reaction score
Good morning all,
My wife and I were looking at one of the Island Mist wine kits.

The documentation calls for an 8 gallon primary bucket, and a 6 gallon carboy.

The largest I have is a 6 gallon bucket and 5 gallon carboy.

Other than getting less final product, is there any reason I can't use these?

The wife is already giving me the fish-eye about my latest obsession, and spending more money on larger equipment is likely to land me in the dog-house.

Hi RC,
The reason for the larger primary is so there is room for the ferment in case it gets really foamy. You don't NEED an 8 gallon primary, but if you use a 6 gallon, just keep an eye on it.

I've made quite a few IM kits and they tend to be low foamers. You still only fill the primary to 23L (5Gal UK/6Gal US). Some of the confusion may be coming from where you are located. Try to follow the instructions via Litres - they are the same everywhere (I think!)

Ray

I have and use a Rubbermaid Commercial Brute 10-Gallon Trash Can. It is food grade and works just fine as a fermenter and it's about $10:mny

thanks all for the info. I've decided to wait a month or so, as I have a decent sized tax return this year. I'll pick up a larger 8 Gal (US) primary and a 6 Gal (US) carboy then. In the meantime, I've got a raisin wine about a week into secondary, and I've got another I'll be making a batch of dragons blood in starting this weekend.

Island Mist tends to be a weaker wine. I have made them to 5.5 gallons to make a slightly more full body wine. I have also been known to mix in a few pounds of sugar to boost the alcohol level. Finally, the IM kits tend to be too sweet for me, so I add 1/2 the F-pack in at the beginning.

So, a 6 gallon bucket with a 5 gallon carboy works with IM kits.

Latest posts

Back