WineXpert Island Mist Pomegranate Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhineMaker

Addicted Member
Reaction score
Got this one going tonight.. Added 1/2 the F-Pack and 3 cups(~1.5lb sugar) to the primary.. SG is 1.074 @ 74F.. Problem now is I don't have enough carboys. Got the okay from SWMBO to get another carboy, so I think I will be okay for another week or 2.. ;)

Sounds really good. Keep us informed of how it turns out. Those Island Mist kits are not bad at all.

Tthat 1 does sound tasty, so many kits and so little money! :)

I hear you there!! Think we may be done for a while.. Have lots in the pipeline right now, but I'm sure when it comes right down to it, I will be getting the Late Harvest Riesling...

Done for now, I wonder how many times Ive said that. If I had a penny for each time Id be buying a MM Meglioli! :)

Done for now, I wonder how many times Ive said that. If I had a penny for each time Id be buying a MM Meglioli! :)

Just got me one of those in today. Got the Pinot Grigio del Veneto. Figured might as well try one of the big time kits. The wife is buying 4-5 or better bottles of Santa Margaritta Pino Grigio at $20.00 a bottle a week so I need to stock up some more. I have slacked at wine making here the last year and am out of whites I guess. I still have a ton of reds but she doen't drink many of them.

I should of just bought a Vintner's Reserve Pinot though. It is a really good wine. Drank the very last bottle of the very first kit I ever made that was close to 5 years old. So much for having to drink up a VR kit in 6 months or adding any extra K-Meta. It was a fabulous bottle of wine!

If you are out of whites then you etter get a quick white and let this expensive 1 age a little more then your typ. white so hopefully you can see the true exp of a Meg!

After three weeks (2 in primary, 1 in secondary) this one still has bubbles visibly rising to the surface.. SG is 0.992.. I assume I should wait until there are no more bubbles rising before starting degassing and clearing??

After three weeks (2 in primary, 1 in secondary) this one still has bubbles visibly rising to the surface.. SG is 0.992.. I assume I should wait until there are no more bubbles rising before starting degassing and clearing??

I, on the other hand, think .992 is a finished fermentation, so progress at your leisure. But then I'm too lazy to watch the bubbles.

Steve

This one is giving me a bit of a problem.. It's been clearing since April 30th but is no where near being clear enough to bottle. The HB kit I just bottled cleared much better in the same time frame.. At what point do I decide to transfer and clear again? I know I will have to get more fining agents, so any recommendations there?

Or should I just give it a few more weeks. Have plenty of wine to keep me happy for a few weeks, so patience would be very easy to practice.. Just don't want to wait too long to bottle on this quick drinker..

Did you degas? Did you add the k-meta, sorbate or clairifier? Degassing prior to adding your clairifier will help. If you did this try degassing again. Is there setiment on the bottom of the carboy or little bubbles on the sides?

I degassed before adding fining agents etc... There is alot of sediment on the bottom, along with some on the sides that won't fall with the "quick twist" method. No visible bubbling at all, SG was 0.992 when I degassed.. So if I degas/stir it all up again, will the finings agents already there still work??

At this point I'm thinking you should transfer. Then, degas again add some clairifier. I'm thinking that it needs it again since you said you have some sediment on the sides.

Thankyou for the advise Tom.. Last night I transferred, degassed again(very little gas in it), and gave it another shot of clearing agents(kiesol and chitosan combo) and this morning its ten times clearer than it was before. Lees on side released quickly when twisting the carboy..

:h

Pulled a sample last night.. Crystal clear so I decided to bottle.. This bottling thing gets easier and easier every time!! This is another great wine.. Very similar to a wine cooler, but no carb and plenty of kick. I would definately recommend this kit with the extra sugar and splitting the F-Pack.. (unless you plan on drinking it like a wine cooler, in that case no extra sugar and follow directions to the tee) Just remember that the ferment times will be longer than the directions call for, and rely mostly on hydrometer readings for appropriate steps.. BTW, this finished at 0.994 and after adding 2nd half of F-Pack it was steady at 1.004... That calculates to 10.7% ABV using the OG of 1.074...

Winding down for now on production as we have officially opened our camp and will be spending alot of time there this summer.. Thats okay though, have plenty of wine to keep us going for a while. I do want to make a cranberry "mist" kit for the holidays this year though... Any suggestions??

Last edited:
My brother has been very happy with the Niagara Mist Cranberry Shiraz as his holiday turkey wine. I suspect Orchard Breezin' Cranberry Chianti would be just fine as well. Island Mist doesn't seem to have a cranberry.

Steve

On a nice hot day chil the wine and add cold 7-UP or Ginger Ale and there is you wine cooler ! :b

Latest posts

Back