Island Mist Peach Chardonnay starting SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donatelo

Reaction score
Today I'm starting this kit wine. The original SG was 1.040, so, I added 4 cups of Dextrose (corn sugar) and it has only risen to 1.056 Sg . I want at least 9% abv. Is there a problem with using Dextrose?

Thx Sour grapes. I used 2 lbs. and it only rose .014. just don't want to stray too far from the instructions.
I still have a flavor pac to add later.

I suggest that you make this kit as a five gallon kit and keep in mind that you still have a flavor pack to add later. I have not made this before , but Seems too weak for a full six gallons.

The Island Mist kits are a little on the light side. Both in flavor and alcohol. Donatelo has a good idea and thats to make it a 5 gallon batch instead of 6. I also add 1/2 of the f-pac into the primary along with some sugar and bring the SG up to at least 1.075. If you don't get the ABV up to at least 10%, it will have a very short shelf life. You risk bacteria growth below 10%. If you intend on consuming the batch within 6-12 months it's probably not an issue. Island Mist kits are intended to be early drinkers and on the light side like a wine cooler. It's fun tweaking these cheaper kits and make them a little bolder. I add a bottle of brandy to their Raspberry Melot kit right before bottling. Kind of a poor mans port, but it turns out pretty good for a cheaper kit. Have fun with it!

We just made the raspberry merlot. Bumped it a little in the ABV. Made the peach raspberry sangria last year exactly by the instructions. It went fast. Everyone loved it. A little low on the ABV but we don’t like a too high ABV. But yea 10% is a good target

Today I'm starting this kit wine. The original SG was 1.040, so, I added 4 cups of Dextrose (corn sugar) and it has only risen to 1.056 Sg . I want at least 9% abv. Is there a problem with using Dextrose?

Good morning Donatelo!
We started this kit April 27. It seems to be clearing more slowly than some other kits I have made. Did yo notice this? Has yours cleared?

Yes . it cleared beautifully. A little on the light side . 8.66% but the taste is really nice. I think that the 5 galloon idea would be best and if I do it again, I plan to do that.

Yes . it cleared beautifully. A little on the light side . 8.66% but the taste is really nice. I think that the 5 galloon idea would be best and if I do it again, I plan to do that.

I went ahead and did the 6 gallons but added a peach juice .. welches I think) to primary and a little extra sugar to bump the ABV to 11%.
Glad to hear yours cleared well. Thanks !!

Well ... my island mist Chardonnay peach has not cleared yet. I looked back at the instruction sheet 3 weeks ago and noticed it said after adding clearing ingredients to keep the carboy at 72-75 degrees. Well I had shoved it in a cooler area around 64-66 degrees after adding fining agents. ... when I noticed the mistake I moved it to a warmer area. That has been 3 weeks ago tomorrow. It has cleared some .. but no where near enough. Some sediment is on bottom and it’s still very cloudy all over.
What would you fine people suggest ? Do I need to rack and add more chitosan and kielsol (sp?) bentonite ? Or add it then rack. Or wait longer and see if it clears.
Any advice is welcomed
Cheers

If it was me, I wouldjust let it sit for a while longer. That being said, it is a mist and probably want to start using it as a summer drink. I would rack it, see how much co2 is still in it and if it is still gassy move it to a warmer place for a while. Give it a stir or hit it with vacuum if you have it. If it still is gassy, the gas keeps the solids floating. If the gas is gone, you might try fining it again. Arne.

Arne... thanks for the advice. It has been in a warm place for 3 weeks. It was in a cool place for 2 weeks then I moved to warm place. It’s been a total of 5 weeks since I added the fining agents and F-pack.
I figured I needed to rack off of the sediment.
I will rack tonight with my all in one pump and let it sit a while.
Thanks!

Arne... thanks for the advice. It has been in a warm place for 3 weeks. It was in a cool place for 2 weeks then I moved to warm place. It’s been a total of 5 weeks since I added the fining agents and F-pack.
I figured I needed to rack off of the sediment.
I will rack tonight with my all in one pump and let it sit a while.
Thanks!
Bet vac racking will help. Arne.

My island mist peach Chardonnay turned out so well. It’s almost gone lol. Thanks for the help with getting it to clear !

Glad you had a great run. I still have a few bottles, maybe two or three. The peach is a nice addition. Some workmen came to replace a leaning rotten power pole on my property ( afraid it would fall on the horse stalls). I gave them about 6 bottles. They looked more like beer drinkers though.

I’ve made a lot of the Island Mist Kits and they are all really good if you like Sweet Fruity Wines. I order mine thru Label Peelers and I do the add on of grape juice concentrate and 2 pounds of sugar brings the SG up to 1.080. Also to improve the flavor and make it pop a little more I’ll add 2 ounces of extract to it like McCormricks extract or ill add real fruit chopped up like peaches, apples, blackberries whatever.

Glad you had a great run. I still have a few bottles, maybe two or three. The peach is a nice addition. Some workmen came to replace a leaning rotten power pole on my property ( afraid it would fall on the horse stalls). I gave them about 6 bottles. They looked more like beer drinkers though.

Lol. Looked more like beer drinkers. That’s funny. But so very kind of you.
I just started a pomegranate kit and have added some strawberries to it. 8 pounds lol. We shall see how it goes !

I’ve made a lot of the Island Mist Kits and they are all really good if you like Sweet Fruity Wines. I order mine thru Label Peelers and I do the add on of grape juice concentrate and 2 pounds of sugar brings the SG up to 1.080. Also to improve the flavor and make it pop a little more I’ll add 2 ounces of extract to it like McCormricks extract or ill add real fruit chopped up like peaches, apples, blackberries whatever.

Yea I agree it’s nice to bump the kits up a little. I go for a 1.070-1.075 ABV. Usually. I just started the pomegranate one. Added 8 pounds of strawberries. I love strawberry wine. I have never added that much fruit to one so time will tell. The ABV was 1.074 before I added the last bag of strawberries (4 pounds). So I know it will actually be a little higher from the sugar in the berries. I’m excited about this one.

Latest posts

Back