WineXpert Island Mist Peach Apricot Chardonay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnwc2004

Reaction score
This will be my fifth kit. I am learning a lot from this site. However I find it difficult to search for specific answers without investing hours of reading. Not a complaint just an observation! So I am sorry if this question has been answered before. I am looking to increase the alcohol for this kit. I don't want it turning into jet fuel though, how much sugar would I be able to safely add without ruining the kit? What kind of sugar should I use? Table sugar? Also should I use the yeast included or a different yeast and if so what kind? I actually do not know what yeast they include as I do not have the kit in my hands yet.
Thank you for any help!
Nicole

It's probably EC-1118, and I wouldn't bother switching the yeast in this type of kit regardless. It's not as if you're making a decent chardonnay.

You should be able to stir in table sugar; however, some people turn it into a simple syrup. I have only used corn sugar, but it costs more except I used to have a supply of free corn sugar.

Re not making jet fuel...ALWAYS ALWAYS use your hydrometer.

Steve

I'm making this wine as a crowd pleaser. I don't care if it's not a "decent Chardonnay". My friends and family will likely enjoy it. So if the starting SG is 1.060 I could raise it to 1.080 and still "be safe"? I believe I read it should be kept under 1.100 to avoid jet fuel. Was just trying to confirm.

I'm making this wine as a crowd pleaser. I don't care if it's not a "decent Chardonnay". My friends and family will likely enjoy it. So if the starting SG is 1.060 I could raise it to 1.080 and still "be safe"? I believe I read it should be kept under 1.100 to avoid jet fuel. Was just trying to confirm.

I think that's a good target, when I boost these type kits, I usually shoot for 1.090, but will also add a little white grape concentrate with it in an attempt to produce more body to handle the ABV.

I appreciate the help. I do think I will use the sugar/grape juice concentrate combo and just keep adding a little at a time a keep testing. I just didn't want to over do it and ruin a $70 kit.

I appreciate the help. I do think I will use the sugar/grape juice concentrate combo and just keep adding a little at a time a keep testing. I just didn't want to over do it and ruin a $70 kit.

I don't know if you buy online from LabelPeelers, but they offer the concentrate and sugar boost regimen with the IM kits......

Will just adding the white grape concentrate help raise the SG. I see welches has a white grape peach concentrate. Would adding that be a bad idea?

@mnwc2004, I add 2 pounds of table sugar and about 1/3 of the F-Pac. This kit started out as my summer house white wine. Now I make it year round and whenever I go anywhere I have to bring some to the party. Bakervinyard

I have made a few of the island mist kits and have settled on 3 pounds extra sugar at the start. 6 cups.

This usually puts the OG at 1.070-1.072.
I save the Fpack for flavoring. I make many dry wines so I keep these for what they are....sweet wines for friends and family to use on ice or mix with crushed ice in a blender with some tequila.

I use a 4 lb bag of sugar and a few ripe bananas

Will just adding the white grape concentrate help raise the SG. I see welches has a white grape peach concentrate. Would adding that be a bad idea?

Not a bad idea at all.

As already stated, 1.080-1.090 would be just fine for this style of wine. Some add table sugar, some add part of the f-pack, some do both. Others still use corn sugar, or simple syrup. Any of these will work. Just add a little, stir well, measure SG.

Just finished this kit a month ago. I boosted the alc. to 10%. Followed the kit to the letter except for: adding a pack of white grape concentrate and sugared up to about 1.080. It did just fine. I think I could have upped the alc. to 12%.

I appreciate all the great input! I'm looking forward to this one! I love the dry reds but I don't have many friends or family that will help me drink them. I think this kit will be much more popular with that crowd.

Last edited:
I use 4 pounds of table sugar in a simple syrup. The reason I use 4 lbs. is that is what is in the bag.[emoji41]

I know this is an old thread but has anyone served this peach [emoji527] Chardonnay with a slice of fresh or frozen peach as a garnish?

Latest posts

Back