Island Mist increasing alcohol content

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Currently running my second batch of the Island Mist kits. First one came out nice, but was a bit weak on the alcohol. This second batch I followed some instructions online and added 4lb over sugar to the primary with this round. Got my SG up to 1.080. It's been in the primary for about a week now and is still bubbling pretty good. My question for those of you that have tweaked these kits is, do you let it go a little longer in the primary or rerack at a specific SG. Havent checked the SG again yet, was going to let the bubbles slow a little first.

Currently running my second batch of the Island Mist kits. First one came out nice, but was a bit weak on the alcohol. This second batch I followed some instructions online and added 4lb over sugar to the primary with this round. Got my SG up to 1.080. It's been in the primary for about a week now and is still bubbling pretty good. My question for those of you that have tweaked these kits is, do you let it go a little longer in the primary or rerack at a specific SG. Havent checked the SG again yet, was going to let the bubbles slow a little first.

Wait for the recommended SG given in your kit instructions. Your hydrometer is your guide during fermentation.

By adding more sugar to make more alcohol it takes longer to ferment out. It is also probably going to have to sit longer after ferment to let the alcohol mellow out some. Good luck with it and welcome to the forum. Arne.

I want to bump up my green apple island mist alcohol level, my first OG is 1.050. Can i add welches white grape juice in bottle from store and some corn sugar? id like specific gravity to be 1.070 -1.075

I want to bump up my green apple island mist alcohol level, my first OG is 1.050. Can i add welches white grape juice in bottle from store and some corn sugar? id like specific gravity to be 1.070 -1.075

I just made the peach apricot Chardonnay, did exactly what you asked about, replaced some of the water with Welches white grape juice and added just regular old table sugar (about 4 lbs) it makes a nice bump to the alcohol level.

I just made the peach apricot Chardonnay, did exactly what you asked about, replaced some of the water with Welches white grape juice and added just regular old table sugar (about 4 lbs) it makes a nice bump to the alcohol level.

Attachments

• C44E76B7-BB14-4927-9225-49FE4A7CE3B7.jpeg
    C44E76B7-BB14-4927-9225-49FE4A7CE3B7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
On the ingredients it has potassium metabisulpite and absorbic acid. That’s still ok?

Also how much grape juice did you add? 1L and then just add sugar till my desired sp gravity?

I added one bottle, which is like 3 liters and then sugar until you are where e you want to be.
Ok thanks. Did you have to wait 24 hours to pitch the yeast because the juice bottle says it has potassium metabishulpite?

what would the postassium metabishulpite do?

Potassium metabisulphite can be used alone in powder form or can be added by using Campden tablets, it helps to prevent oxidation of your wine and also inhibits microbial activity, ie yeast budding and eating sugar producing alcohol. It will stop most native yeasts, but will just make wine yeast mad.

Potassium metabisulphite can be used alone in powder form or can be added by using Campden tablets, it helps to prevent oxidation of your wine and also inhibits microbial activity, ie yeast budding and eating sugar producing alcohol. It will stop most native yeasts, but will just make wine yeast mad.
Are there any way to stop this or you just let it sit for a while before adding your yeast?

Are there any way to stop this or you just let it sit for a while before adding your yeast?

Stir the heck out of it to release what you canof it and then I always wait a day or more before adding yeast. Sometimes, I even put everything into my bucket, then into my spare fridge to cold soak it some before pitching yeast.

I've made a number of the "fun wine" kits, and have bumped all to 10% to 11% ABV. Two of them were still good at the 7 year mark.

Commercial products with sulfite and/or sorbate can be difficult to get a fermentation going. If you use sugar (plain 'ole table sugar is fine) it eliminates potential problems. Besides, Welch's will give it a "grapey" flavor that may not be what you want.

On the ingredients it has potassium metabisulpite and absorbic acid. That’s still ok?
You really Don’t want to add juices with potassium metasulphite in them, next time go to the frozen concentrate juice aisle at your grocery store and get a couple cans of frozen grape juice concentrate there. Also what I do is I go to the juice aisle and you can buy the 100% juice, no preservatives and add a bottle or 2 to substitute For water.

You really Don’t want to add juices with potassium metasulphite in them, next time go to the frozen concentrate juice aisle at your grocery store and get a couple cans of frozen grape juice concentrate there. Also what I do is I go to the juice aisle and you can buy the 100% juice, no preservatives and add a bottle or 2 to substitute For water.
Ok so Dave I stirred the hell out of the grape juice and brought it to a quick boil. Would that release enough of the metabisulphite off gas?

Couple of things:

1. Don't boil the juice! Too late now, but the resulting wine will probably be hazy and may not clear due to fruit pectins. Add pectic enzyme to break down the pectins. If you haven't added it to your wine yet -- don't.

2. Commercial juices often have other preservatives that will inhibit fermentation. It's possible to get fermentation going (I fermented Ocean Spray CranRaspberry juice many moons ago), but it may take a LOT longer to get started and the duration may be a lot longer than expected.

Latest posts

Back