Island Mist Coconut Yuzu

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABRU

Reaction score
Made the island Mist Coconut Yuzo kit boosted with a box of white grape concentrate and 2.5 pounds of sugar. All turned out great except now I have 30 bottles of coconut wine that we don’t care for. The coconut flavor is overpowering. Any suggestions for modifying or blending this wine would be appreciated. I’ve tried mixing small batch in glass 50-50 with Malbec and just end up with bad Malbec.

How did I tell so out of balance?
Did you follow the instructions? I can understand boosting the ABV but why the grape concentrate? This is a Riesling based kit .

Wine is not out of balance. The white grape concentrate adds body to the island mist white wine kits plus increases ABV which is now about 12.5%. Coconut taste is just too strong for my taste. The taste comes from the F-pack added after ferment. Those who like coconut should love this wine. Just not for me. Wife likes it but she drinks little wine so this should last us a long time. Hopefully we will find some friends who like it cuz they sure put dents in my supply of other creations.

The concentrate is what's then probably their no room for it in the mix and yes it's a confusing mix as far as the over whelming taste of coconut I've never experienced anything like that with thís kit.
How much do you have?
If you added 2 bottles of Riesling to the entire batch that should soften up the coconut and taste more like a wine

I made this kit per instructions and I agree, the coconut was not for me. I added half a gallon of Tropical Dragon Blood I had on hand. That tamed the coconut for my batch and I really like it now.

I can give you a pointer, but it is too late for your Coconut wine. Whenever I make a wine kit that has an F-pack, I always add about 1/3 of the F-pack at the primary fermentation. This helps so its not too sweet in the end, and will help reduce your "Flavor" so its not too strong. I do this in all of my dessert wines, and just did it in the Coconut Yuzu kit you are speaking of. My wife and I both love the Coconut Yuzu....probably because it is not too sweet or overbearing with flavor.

Wish I had a suggestion for you to save your Coconut.

I can give you a pointer, but it is too late for your Coconut wine. Whenever I make a wine kit that has an F-pack, I always add about 1/3 of the F-pack at the primary fermentation. This helps so its not too sweet in the end, and will help reduce your "Flavor" so its not too strong. I do this in all of my dessert wines, and just did it in the Coconut Yuzu kit you are speaking of. My wife and I both love the Coconut Yuzu....probably because it is not too sweet or overbearing with flavor.

Wish I had a suggestion for you to save your Coconut.
Have you tried Orchard Breezin Tropical lime ? It still has the coconut flavor but a little lime added in.

Not to hijack but I would definitely make this again with the tweak of adding some of the f-pac upfront. I am surprised. This one has grown on me :h

Latest posts

Back