WineXpert Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Selection Original Chianti in the carboy that will be bottled the end of February. That being said and the fact that we need something to par-take of while the Chianti is aging I started my Blackberry Cabernet kit this evening. I took the suggestion of some on the site and increased initial SG to ~1.074. I'm figuring the potenial alcohol should come in around 10% which won't be to bad. I did not add any of the f-pac upfront as I want this to be more on the sweet side. I'll add it at the end like the directions state.

If anyone has made this let me know how it turned out.

Hi Doug,

That was one of the first wines I made. At that time I did not know about kicking up the s.g. but it was still very good. It didn't last long.

Julie

It was my second wine and agai it didnt last long, it also through off some sediment in the bottle due to bottling per instructions so give every wine a little more time in the carboy then stated.

It was my second wine and agai it didnt last long, it also through off some sediment in the bottle due to bottling per instructions so give every wine a little more time in the carboy then stated.

We wanted a quick drinker to allow the Chianti time to age. I figured follow direction but was planning a racking when they say to bottle then bottle 2-3 weeks later. Probably bottleing time mid to end of March.

I'm making the very same kit, just added the clarifying agents.

Should you de-gas this wine again before bottling? When I was adding the clarifying agents, it seemed like it would make foam for as long as I wanted to stir it. I was using a drill-mounted plastic s-curve thing. Do you run it fast or slow? I went about 8-10 minutes all together. Not sure if I was de-gasing or just whipping up foam to be honest. Any advice appreciated.

Just following up- My kit has been clarifying for a week now and it looks great. Since so many on here and my retailer all say the same thing, I plan to rack to my second carboy when my two weeks clarifying time are up, let it clear for another week, then bottle. This is my first kit and I'm hoping it turns out nice! I made it per instructions. I'm going to do the "Wildberry Shiraz" next, that should put us in summer wine for a while!

I checked the SG of ours yesterday, still wasn't to 1.010 yet so I'll check again today or tomorrow then transfer to carboy. I was going to do the same and do the initial claification as per the instructions then after designated time transfer to empty carboy for week or two before bottleing.

Looking forward to this one. It should give the Chianti time to age before being drank.

It's been clearing for two weeks, so I just racked mine off the sediment tonight. I'm going to leave it for another couple weeks and see if there is an more settling at all. Topped it off with a half-liter of Grey Goose.

It looks really good, but tastes a little green. I'm hoping two more weeks will help it. Can't hurt right?

I'm making this too. I had it in the primary for one week, yesterday it was 1.020 and today it was 1.000, so I put it in the carboy as directions stated to at 1.010 or less. Am I ok? Is 1.000 to low for stage 2?

I'm making this too. I had it in the primary for one week, yesterday it was 1.020 and today it was 1.000, so I put it in the carboy as directions stated to at 1.010 or less. Am I ok? Is 1.000 to low for stage 2?

You are ok. 1.000 is to low for stage 2. You are fine.

Thanks for the response. But just to clafify, I didn't fully understand. I am in stage 2 as of yesterday it(when i first started stage 2, it read 1.000). Are you saying this is too low?

Thanks for the response. But just to clafify, I didn't fully understand. I am in stage 2 as of yesterday it(when i first started stage 2, it read 1.000). Are you saying this is too low?

You're fine where you are. Just continue to follow the directions. Leave it in stage 2 for the 10 days recommended and continue from there. Everything will be fine.

Sorry Dave,

I just re-read my post and that is what I get for posting when I am not completely awake.

It should have read "1.000 is not to low ...."

Last edited:
They just want you to be below 1.010. Really it's just a guideline... when the active primary firmentation slows, it's time to move the wine into a less air-rich environment (the carboy). This next part will go slower, and you won't see much action.

Should I be stirring once in stage 2? Directions don't call for it, but I've heard people say both??

I don't think you need to do anything. The only way you can mess up these Island Mist kits would be to spill it on the floor :h

OK, that's what I have heard. I also have a Merlot on right now (Stags Leap Napa Valley) they're are at the same stage, should I be stirring that one? Sorry bout all the questions.

LOL, we are making the same kits....

I think stirring and splash racking at this stage are just methods to give the yeasties more oxygen and keep them motivated. I guess it can't hurt, but unless your fermentation is stalled I don't think you need to do anything, the yeasties know what to do.

Latest posts

Back