WineXpert Island Mist ABV

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRAM

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm fairly new to wine making and I've had a taste of the Island Mist White Cranberry and enjoy it but it's only 7% abv. Can I just add one bottle of Ocean Spray White Cranberry during primary fermentation to bump it up slightly? Would i need to make any other adjustments as well?

Here are it's ingredients: Filtered Water, White Grape Juice (Water, White Grape Juice Concentrate), Cane or Beet Sugar, White Cranberry Juice (Water, White Cranberry Juice Concentrate), Citric Acid, Natural Flavors, Sodium Citrate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)

Why not add table sugar in the form of a simple syrup?

My typical process with the Island Mist kits is to add 4 pounds of additional sugar to primary fermentation. IIRC I try to shoot for an S.G. 1.084-1.086 while adding the sugar. I just continue to add the sugar until I get my desired gravity reading (usually about 4 pounds).

You can add the concentrate or sugar as stated, I would be careful on how much you add, too high of an ABV can override the flavor. I would bring sg around 1.080 - 1.090.

The reason most of us add 4 pounds of sugar is that is what’s in the bag[emoji23]

I usually add a few pounds of sugar and about half the f-pack. Target SG of 1.085-1.090 or so. The reason I use part of the f-pack is that adding the whole thing to back sweeten creates a wine that is WAY too sweet for my taste. And the flavor profile of the pack allows you to bump up the ABV with a little flavor.

I just made up a WE Island mist Raspberry/Peach Sangria kit (my fun after doing my fed taxes), with the added 1L grape concentrate and 1 lb corn sugar (standard optional add-ons if ordered from Label Peelers). I had pre-boiled and somewhat cooled 15 qts of water. Used the bentonite, added a 64 oz bottle of a raspberry/cranberry 100% fruit juice (Apple & Eve, I think), the 1 Litre red grape concentrate, the 1 lb corn sugar, the sangria bag of juice, 750 ml of the f-pack and my boiled/cooled water. Ended up just short of 6 gallons. Happened to have an unopened 64 oz Welches white grape juice, added that, and perfect. 6 gallons to start, 1.086 starting gravity. Added some BM 4x4 yeast, and off to the races (I hope).

This is one of my wife's favorite summertime wines.

Latest posts

Back