WineXpert Island Mist 5 Gallon Batch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
As you all know, the Island Mist kits are designed to make 6 gallons of light-bodied wine. Would it be a bad idea to make 5 gallons of it instead, in order to increase the flavor and add body? I also plan to bump the alcohol content to 11%.

I have a kit of Blackberry Cabernet on a Fedex plane headed my way as we speak...:b

Thanks,

Chopper

It could throw everything off balance like ph and ta and end up way too sweet.

I am not saying dont but to just be aware of the possibilities. Experimentation is what wine making is all about!

I concure with Wade. You will not be a happy camper. But, you can add some sugar to get more alcohol. :b

I further concure Chopper, if you want what we like to refer to as rocket fuel wine, than don't mess around with a kit that doesn't advertise a high alcholol in the end. As Wade said you could throw everything off if you try and tweek it too much, and that would be too bad to ruin or have bad results on a kit that was not "designed" for a high ABV. Enjoy the kit and follow the directions. If you want to make a wine with an high ABV, there are other ways. If you really want to get it up there there are other ways for that too. Be happy for what you can make. I don't make kits but they say in here that the Island Mist kits are pretty decent, just a little low on the ABV factor. (I am pondering the raspberry merlot they offer), just haven't had the cash yet. If you want to make a high ABV wine start with juice, lots of sugar, and a high tolerant yeast.:d
Troy

Lets understand what Island Mist kits are. In a word they are "Patio Wines". Think of a Bartel & James cooler. They are called Patio Wines because all you need to do is add either 7=UP or Ginger Ale to the wine.
IF you just make the kits as the directions say and add the 7=UP you would be surprised with how easy this wine drinks.:d

Tom is keeping a flask in my back pocket the same thing?::
troy

Troy,
Sounds like you are like Wade and I it's NOT a hobby anymore..

ITS AN OBSESSION ! :)

Latest posts

Back