Quantcast

Isabella or similar grape for sale New York area

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

VinhoVerde

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everyone. New to the forum from Long Island New York. I have been making wine with my father for over 30 years from a very small lot of grapes in our backyard from a few vines that he planted when he first came here from Portugal. I have been searching for the type of grape that we have for a long time and from what he has explained to me I believe it to be the infamous Isabella grape that has been prohibited in most countries in Europe. This is the same wine he grew up on as a child and everyone in my family loves it. The problem is we only have enough grades to make about 40 gallons on a good year And with the expanding family it doesn’t last very long LOL. So I am on a mission to find Izabella grapes for sale or if anybody knows of a very similar great that can be purchased I would very much appreciate it. I am willing to travel a few hours to pick it up. I have heard that it is popular around the finger Lakes area but I have yet to find a place that sells Isabella grapes in my searches.

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
Not familiar with this grape at all. But it does show up as a grape grown in the fingers lakes area, a few other places in NY and PA and not many other places in the US. I do believe there are some vineyards that sell grapes to the public up there. Doubt you will find an importer/distributor that carries these grapes though.

http://www.stayfingerlakes.com/wine/grape-varieties.htm

Here's a vineyard in Long Island that makes an isabella wine, maybe they sell some grapes.

https://www.pindar.net/

VinhoVerde

Junior
Reaction score
I just called Pindar And the man I spoke with there was perfectly honest with me and said that being such a big and popular wine producer they would never entertain selling such small quantities of grapes For personal use .He said the best bet is to pretty much go door-to-door to private landowners and ask if they are willing to sell some of their crop. The hunt continues .

Latest posts