Is used barrel worth it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
I came across a Seguin Moreau oak barrel for $25. Looks to be around 25 or 30 gl. I haven't checked it out yet in person.

What would be the things that would make you not purchase this? Looks like the whole/opening has been somewhat sealed.

I know nothing about barrels.

I'd be very hesitant to buy a used barrel unless I knew the owner and how they took care of it. You never know what could be lurking in there.
That's what I thought, still might check it out though. i think this is from cleaning out someones basement, there is a wine cooler also for $25

If it has had wine, aciduated, sulfited water or sulfur gassed maintained, I’d consider it. Other than that, it’s furniture grade.

If it has had wine, aciduated, sulfited water or sulfur gassed maintained, I’d consider it. Other than that, it’s furniture grade.

Thanks, for $25 I might pick it up for a furniture project. It's looks pretty clean in photos.

Reconditioning entire thing tho could be fun. Buying a used barrel and taking apart/ planing off gunk/ sand down inside of heads/ reassembling/ retoasting and filling er up has been something I’d like to attempt for a while now. Just comes down to the option presenting itself and having the time to do it.
Almost did it once. Found out the barrel was used for sour beer. Read: Brett. No thanks. Even with a full reconditioning. (Boatboy Jim actually informed me of that at the time. Thanks again)

Latest posts

Back