Is this wine OK?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanetD

Junior
Reaction score
Have made quite a few wine kits - all turned out OK. Bought a Cellar master (spangols) Chardonnay 4 week kit form Save on foods. Put wine & yeast in primary container and covered tightly with plastic.......the plastic cover was raised in a done for approx. 10 days. On day 14 drained into secondary fermenter...added Sulphite Pottasium sorbate kieselol & chitosan. Added the bung & air lock - no bubbles are coming into airlock. We syphoned off a bit and had a quick taste....just tasted like a green wine. Is this ok that there are no air bubbled in the airlock...I have never had this happen before.
Anything I should do now - or just bottle when the 28 days is up?
Thanks

Did you seal the primary completly "air tight"? If so that is not good. It must be vented during primary fermentation. Check the wine with a hydrometer.

I don't understand why you're expecting bubbles if it's done fermenting. If it's fermented and degassed I would not expect to see bubbles in the airlock.

Jim

I dont understand either. If you made kits before the bubbles stop when fermentating is done..no exceptions. Follow the directions to finish

BTW. have you tested the begining and current gravity?

Like above once you have firm sediment 2-3 weeks after adding clearing agent rack and degas.
You should have degassed before adding any clearing agents.

Yeah, based on the description, all sounds OK, assuming (as others said) you've degassed. Since you added stabilizers, you won't have any renewed fermentation... and thus no bubbles.

If it tastes like green wine, that's OK -- because that's what it is!

Like has already been said, the only good test that fermentation is finished and that it finished properly is by utilizing a hydrometer. Bubbles or lack of bubbles don't mean much.

Latest posts

Back