Is this salvagable

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimberlygator

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, me again ("forgot to add metabisulfite" and "hydrometer reading" posts). So, I moved the wine to the 2ndary fermenter even though it hasn't moved on the hydrometer reading at all. I tasted it yesterday. It tastes like wine, a very light wine, but I don't think it has much alcohol content. My initial hydrometer reading before adding sugar was 1.044 (i.e. 1 + .44 on the scale - apparently the right was to say that is 1.044 not 1.44). I just retook the SG and it's right at .990. So using a calculation I found and one with plug in numbers my wine is at about 7% ABV - seriously low for wine. So, do I trash this "wine" or rebrand it (ha ha) as cider? Or can I fortify with a storebought wine? I need to bottle it tonight if it's even worth it. Thanks for any advice.

I'm relatively new to wine making so am no authority, I'm sure other more knowledgeable folks will chime in in time but I have a few thoughts to share. You tasted it already, is it drinkable?
If so I see no sense in trashing it since you have a good bit invested already. You may have to drink it up sooner rather than later with the relatively low alcohol level, seems like I read somewhere that lower ABV wines do not age well.
There is no better lesson though than learning from your mistakes, I bet you won't make those mistakes again.

Hi "Me Again", you are missing 2 very important step and that is clearing and degassing. Not sure your reasons for having to bottle it now but without degassing could cause your corks to pop or even worse the bottles and you will have way too much sediment. .990 is definitely dry so there is no need for sorbates though I would highly recommend sulfites unless you plan on drinking it right away. Hope it turns out to your liking but if not don't be discouraged, you had a lot of things going against you with this one.

You said that the SG was 1.044 before adding sugar. How much sugar did you add? What was the SG reading after you added the sugar?

We normally take the initial hydrometer reading (OG = original gravity) after adding fruit, water and sugar but before adding the yeast. To calculate the ABV you need the OG reading including the sugar.

If it tastes ok dont dump it, you could always make another batch and shoot for a higher ABV and then blend them together have fun with it either way.

From a certain point of view (yes, I'm channeling Obi-Wan), the ABV of the beverage makes no difference. As long as it tastes and smells good, it's fine.

The questions asked previously in this thread are critical to providing good advice. The only thing any of us can advise at this point is DO NOT dump the wine.

For wine, an ABV below 10% typically means the shelf life is shorter, e.g., the wine may have a shelf life of only a year or 2. [There is no hard-n-fast rule about this, lifespan depends on many factors.] If the ABV is 7%, I'd plan on using it up within 18 months. Yeah, it may last longer than that, but I'd rather drink it early than toss the last few bottles.

Back