Quantcast

Is this phlloxera

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

efBobby

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm it’s been a while since I have seen it but I do not think it is grape louse. Not 100% but I remember the “bumps” were uniformly sized and kinda fuzzy up top.

then again these were on natives and may look different on varieties.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
yes it is. take Sevin and add to our tank mix to spray each interval it will control the spread

balatonwine

The Verecund Vigneron
Reaction score
Not phylloxera. Phylloxera on the leaf has a more gall like appearance, and no "fuzzy" underside.

As already stated, this is a vine mite. It causes no damage to the grapes. But if you have a large infection it can cause enough leaf damage that it can starve the vine and affect the crop. But that rarely occurs. Sulfur sprays in the spring and a regime of integrated pest management can normally control this mite without much effort.

Some may even think this pest is downy mildew, due to the white "fuzzy" looking underside early in the season (late in the season, they turn brown), but it is not.

Last edited:

Snafflebit

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for the info. These galls look very much like erinose mite. It is found on two vines on a few leaves, so it is not an infestation.

Latest posts