Is this much sediment normal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jet

Reaction score
This is my first-ever batch of wine. I bought a Vintner's Resever Pinot Noir kit when I got my equipment. I've followed the directions carefully. I started their "stabilising and clearing" step three weeks ago. I checked the wine for clarity last week, and it looked like a snow globe. Per the instructions, I gave it another week. It's not as bad as last week, but it's still not clear. In addition, I have over 1 1/2" of sediment in the bottom of the carboy.
dsc_0007.jpg

Last year I made 5 gallons with frozen concentrate. It was Dole pineapple mango. Ifermented in a carboy.(I was young, now I use a bucket). But, I had 5 times that much sediment. Pectin E helped break it down, and it did settle out. So, yeah, like Dan said, this is normal. Don't sweat it, looking good from here!

Troy

My strawberry jam/banana had that much in the carboy even after fermenting in a primary bucket in a cotton tee shirt that I got my wife to stitch up the neck and sleeves.

Jet,
You'll find that most of that is just a coating on the bottom and bottom edges of the contours at the bottom of the carboy. It's not that deep all across the bottom. LOOKS PRETTY!

That's a sight I love to see. Green Mountains right it's not really that thick throughout. You wine has just started it's life and is slowly starting to change.

I was thinking wouldn't it be great if we could add gelatin to the carboy while it's clearing. Then when it's complete chill it like Jello to solidify the lees in the gelatin, and rack off absolutely nothing but wine. All the lees would be stuck together. Add hot water and rinse away.

I always have ideas. Some good and then some not.

Be patient your wine is coming along nicely.

Per the instructions, I guess I'm supposed to bottle at this point. I'm short on bottles, so I racked it again, and I'll have to wait till I get enough bottles before continuing.

Maybe I am too conservative (or cheap), but I routinely place the sediment / juices in am appropriate size container / jar or tupperware and leave in the refrigerator for 3 days or so. The sediment will pack down and you can recover a good portion of wine for topping up future batches/ etc. I am guessing you would call this cold stabilization?

Maybe I am too conservative (or cheap), but I routinely place the sediment / juices in am appropriate size container / jar or tupperware and leave in the refrigerator for 3 days or so. The sediment will pack down and you can recover a good portion of wine for topping up future batches/ etc. I am guessing you would call this cold stabilization?

Yeah, I do this, too---all to the other half's dismay! :h

Funny -I have all sorts of crazy concoctions in the fridge (as I also make liquors). My other half once drank my raison peppercorn juice thinking it was tea (you should have seen his face - OMG). I do try to label things, but can get slack about it (sorry babe!). Now he asks first :)

You should always try and get as much wine out of each batch you can for topping up later.

When I checked it yesterday, the sediment was already starting to build up.

Back