Is this CO2 or unsettled sediment in my carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

This Nebbiolo has been in the carboy now for a few days after spending a couple of weeks clearing in the last FV.
Can anyone tell from the pictures if this is CO2 deposited on the glass or is it actually the line showing where the sediment is still suspended?
Ive shown an image also of the base where the deposits can clearly be seen.
It's my first time using a carboy so just not sure how the patterned glass reacts normally.
Thanks
Bren

20180220_000431.jpg PSX_20180220_093829.jpg

That's just sediment that drags on the wall, it usually drops over time, but I sometimes give the carboy a couple of sharp twists in opposite directions to help it fall.

That's just sediment that drags on the wall, it usually drops over time, but I sometimes give the carboy a couple of sharp twists in opposite directions to help it fall.
Cool.. is it likely then that the actual sediment in the body of the liquid has dropped past this point?

Yes, the initial big deposit of sediment has probably taken place, but there’s typically more to come this early on, it needs time. Give the carboy a good cleaning on the outside so you can see in there better, a little gentle motion will break that sediment loose from the carboy walls (if it was clean when you started) and it’ll fall to the bottom. If you rack with it on the walls, it’ll break loose into wisps of sediment as the wine level decreases, and it’ll end up getting racked into your next vessel, where it will settle out again.

I'll often get that...

There is a member here who will place the carboy on a lazy susan so she can more easily "shimmy" the carboy. Being a macho former Marine I don't use no stinkin lazy susan. :p:)

I'll often get that...

There is a member here who will place the carboy on a lazy susan so she can more easily "shimmy" the carboy. Being a macho former Marine I don't use no stinkin lazy susan. :p:)
Haha... I'm not a small guy, no lazy spinny things needed!

I find that if it is sticking to the sides, it is usually potassium bitartrate dropping out of the wine as it is becoming more cold stable. Is the are where you are storing the wine relatively cold? Normally I will intentionally cold stabilize, and on a high acid wine it will look exactly like what you have pictured. It is better to let it all fall out in the carboy, than in the bottle as it can be a little unsettling to look at but pretty much tasteless and harmless.

If it is tartrates falling out also, it will be a little sparkly/sandy looking. It is literally cream of tartar which you could re-purpose if you wanted to.

Latest posts

Back