Is this an old muscadine vine?

Discussion in 'Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum' started by SomaWine, Feb 11, 2019 at 3:26 AM.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Feb 11, 2019 at 3:26 AM #1

SomaWine

SomaWine

SomaWine

Junior

[​IMG]
    I found this today on a walk near what appeared to be what was left of an old demolished home. This is in NE SC close to this coast. The vine was growing a few hundred feet from a very long pond and just on the other side of that is a very large river. The bark makes me belobel it's a muscadine, as well as the location. I'm new to this whole thing, I'm wondering if it's possible to transplant it, or if it's more than one, them.

2. Feb 11, 2019 at 3:29 AM #2

SomaWine

SomaWine

SomaWine

Junior

3. Feb 13, 2019 at 5:01 AM #3

Lando545

Lando545

Lando545

Junior

that area seems like it would be beautiful in spring! it could be a Muscatine like you said. Possible to transplant, i think so. will it be easy? Probably not. If I was you I would just come back at different times of the year and document it's beauty and progress, capture some high quality images and get them printed.

4. Feb 14, 2019 at 4:24 PM #4

GreginND

GreginND

GreginND

Super Moderator Super Moderator

You would be best to propagate the vine from cuttings. Transplanting a vine rarely produces a strong viable vine because you are cutting off all those old long roots.

5. Feb 14, 2019 at 5:07 PM #5

Sage

Sage

Sage

Junior Member WMT Supporter

Don't wait to do it. Come back in a couple weeks and the place might be bulldozed and a condo being built.