Is this an infection?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Welch

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep any extra wine from my first racking out of primary fermenter and usually need it to top off my carboys when on my 2nd rack out of my secondary fermenters into carboys for aging. Today I opened this ball jar to find these floaters on top of the wine. I've done this many times and never seen this.
I was hoping someone has seen something similar and knows(or even an educated guess) what this floating matter is. I fear they are bacteria colonies.
For the record this is a blend of Finer Wines Merlot and Petit Syrah, both just over 13% ABV. I added 0.15 grams of Meta K to this when it went in about a month ago. The ball jar and lid were both squeaky clean and then sanitized with Star-San prior to use and the ball jar was vacuum sealed.

Can anyone give me any insight on this and/or advice on if and how (if advisable) this can be used?

This is a 2 Liter ball jar so a good bit of top off wine if salvageable.
DSCN3795.JPGDSCN3796.JPG

Tartrates will grow and sink faster at refrigerator temperature.
A bacterial infection will have a greasy feel when rubbed between the fingers, potassium tartrate will have a sandy feel in the mouth or on the fingers.
That looks like tartrates to me, sometimes tartrates float for a while before sinking so it should be ok, but smell and taste is all you need to do to verify if the wine is worth using.

That looks like tartrates to me, sometimes tartrates float for a while before sinking so it should be ok, but smell and taste is all you need to do to verify if the wine is worth using.
Tartrates will grow and sink faster at refrigerator temperature.
A bacterial infection will have a greasy feel when rubbed between the fingers, potassium tartrate will have a sandy feel in the mouth or on the fingers.

Finally got around to sampling this. Now with your help I can make an educated guess.
Took a sample from the center with a small thief and it tasted fine, and smells fine. Took a little off the surface with a spoon and felt it. Felt like very fine grained sand which went away after maybe 10 seconds (or less) of rubbing between my thumb and finger and no greasy feeling. I am (educated) guessing now that it is tartrates floating. I will use it to top off other wines.
Thank you both.

Latest posts

Back