Is this all roundup damage? I hope I didn't really screw things up.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
Here are some update pics and I am not liking the looks of things. Some leaves are brown to black around the edges, some look completely dry and curled. Some of the trunk itself even appears drier and less green. I thought I had read that using Roundup was ok as long as I had grow tubes and there is no wind but I really hope I didn't screw myself and this is roundup damage. Worse, can I expect them to recover next spring or is this most likely permanent?

ForumRunner_20130825_180350.jpg

ForumRunner_20130825_180402.jpg

ForumRunner_20130825_180413.png

ForumRunner_20130825_180427.png

ForumRunner_20130825_180440.jpg

ForumRunner_20130825_180453.jpg

ForumRunner_20130825_180505.jpg

I uploaded all these from the Android app, not sure why it rotated them all horizontally.

I am a pretty avid gardner, and have made the mistake of using round up with a wind that directed it to my tomatoes....they were toast, and so was my okra,squash,peppers,and watermelons...
It looks like the same thing that I had...I just plowed them under , I hope someone says its not roundup burn for your sake..

That doesn't look like roundup damage to me.
Have you fertilized in the past 2-3 weeks? If so, with what?
That marginal leaf burn can be seen with over fertilization.

I meant to say that you don't have the wilt you usually see with roundup.

I agree, I don't think it's from Roundup.

Reminds me of a story though if you got the time. I used to work for the orange box. At Christmas time the store manager told a new guy to round up all of the poinsettias (they were scattered around). Well doing as he was told, he mixed up some round up and hit them all with it. That was one of those not so good of days, you'll never forget.

Zero fertilization this year, as I just planted this spring. I wanted to wait until the second or third season to fertilize. I was questioning if they were getting enough water, but there were some showeres last week. The white you see is dried up Sevin spray to control the Jap beetles.

On most plants with glyphosate, it nukes the whole plant evenly after going to the root. Yours looks a lot more uneven...perhaps a fungus? Too moist in the grow tubes?

Glyphosate has to hit green to work. Only you can determine if your tubes prevented spray from reaching leaves. Personally I avoid using it until I can trim all foliage from the bottom three feet. It marks life hard with young vines but I have yet to kill one with spray.

Looks more like mildew to me. See the fuzzy growth? That would be downy mildew. You probably did not spray for it this year so I would expect it with all the rain in the Northeast this year.

Roundup results in leaves being curled and malformed. This does not look like roundup damage.

Well, I guess the roundup damage is somewhat of a relief, since I would worry about them not coming back in the spring and no I did not spray for any mildew etc. It was VERY wet a lot of May and June although I did not notice any of this until the last few weeks and it has been somewhat average to dry to last month or so. I do agree that there appears to be some mildew of fungal type substance on some of the leaves. Should I spray anything immediately and if not what should I use next year and how often, after every rain?

What you need is to develop a spray routine. Check with extension as to what is recommended there. I could tell you what I use, but it may not be approved for CT. The important thing is to get the program and stick to it, especially when it gets wet.

I agree, I don't think it's from Roundup.

Reminds me of a story though if you got the time. I used to work for the orange box. At Christmas time the store manager told a new guy to round up all of the poinsettias (they were scattered around). Well doing as he was told, he mixed up some round up and hit them all with it. That was one of those not so good of days, you'll never forget.
LOL!! okay that's someone who should win a Darwin award

That looks like leaf burn from spraying Sevin in the sun. I did the same things to my apple tree this spring. If that's what it is, they will come back fine.

All foliar applications, fertilizers, fungicides and insecticides should be applied either early morning or in the late afternoon. I won't spray early morning, too much potential for burning. As soon as the sun is off of my plants, 5:45 pm, I bust out my Stihl SR 450 and spray with confidence.

I'm leaning toward lack of water and a possible fungus. We have been under quite a drought here and mine look pretty much the same. They are not gonners though.

Ok, at least I won't have a crop for a few years so hopefully I can learn the lessons now. Should I go ahead and water in the next few days? On a side note, is it true that next spring I should be cutting them back all the way down to the ground and just leaving 3-4 buds. It seems like ac shame to see all that growth go to waste but AA vineyards I think said it will create a stronger trunk in the long run.

I thought the same thing about taking them back to one or two buds in the spring. But they exploded, and grew like crazy. I didn't cut back a couple just to see, and regreted it.

I had some round up damage on one of my rows. Looked very different to this, leaves still green but curled. Took a year to recover but now going strong again. This is something else i believe.

Back