Is this a good price on a hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is very over priced ($50) and in reality you want a plastic test cylinder, not a glass one. Using a glass test cylinder you are much more likely to break the hydrometer. All home use hydrometers are going to be about the same for accuracy, you should be able to get one with a plastic test cylinder for under $20.

I have two hydrometers for 5 years, the only ones I have ever had. Got both of them with purchases of used carboys and other equipment. For $50, my bet is, you could get a hydrometer with a carboy or two on craigslist. It seems every week or two someone is selling off their beer/wine equipment.

I don't think your are going to get any better performance by scaling up the quality of a hydrometer. Stay away from glass cylinder like others say.

One mistake I made a few years ago was glass thermometer, had a friend over who wanted to learn brewing, he broke it 15 minutes of arrival.

But wait! There's more!

"Comes in a beautiful gift box for the Octoberfest fan or winemaker who likes to bottle their own do it yourself (DIY) home made beer or vino. "

I was actually joking. That same hydrometer is selling for much less on Amazon. The highest I saw was about 15 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of 5 precision hydrometers that run $35 each. Except for the first and sometimes my last reading, I use my $7 one.

I have 4 0r 5 hydrometers - every one of them gives a slightly different reading. I calibrated them in 60° distilled water and just compensate for the inaccuracy when I use them. The inaccuracies are not huge, just a bit low .002 and .003.

Latest posts

Back