Quantcast

Is this a good price on a hydrometer

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

pillswoj

Canadian Member
Reaction score
That is very over priced ($50) and in reality you want a plastic test cylinder, not a glass one. Using a glass test cylinder you are much more likely to break the hydrometer. All home use hydrometers are going to be about the same for accuracy, you should be able to get one with a plastic test cylinder for under $20.

JohnT

Super Moderator
Reaction score

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
I have two hydrometers for 5 years, the only ones I have ever had. Got both of them with purchases of used carboys and other equipment. For $50, my bet is, you could get a hydrometer with a carboy or two on craigslist. It seems every week or two someone is selling off their beer/wine equipment.

I don't think your are going to get any better performance by scaling up the quality of a hydrometer. Stay away from glass cylinder like others say.

One mistake I made a few years ago was glass thermometer, had a friend over who wanted to learn brewing, he broke it 15 minutes of arrival.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
But wait! There's more!

"Comes in a beautiful gift box for the Octoberfest fan or winemaker who likes to bottle their own do it yourself (DIY) home made beer or vino. "

olusteebus

Reaction score
I was actually joking. That same hydrometer is selling for much less on Amazon. The highest I saw was about 15 bucks.

bstnh1

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a set of 5 precision hydrometers that run $35 each. Except for the first and sometimes my last reading, I use my $7 one.

bstnh1

Reaction score
I have 4 0r 5 hydrometers - every one of them gives a slightly different reading. I calibrated them in 60° distilled water and just compensate for the inaccuracy when I use them. The inaccuracies are not huge, just a bit low .002 and .003.

Latest posts