Is there something as too many lees?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiner

:O)
Reaction score
Hello Experts!
Is this picture normal or is my wine simply ill?

IMG_2975.jpg

Click here if it does not load...

I was thinking about moving it to the primary, clean up the carboy and move it back... But hesitation has taken over. :O(

Hmmm...

Last edited:
in short....no......not ill

in a longer answer we would need to know some facts about the wine...what type...how long on these lees...what stage is everything at

some people LIKE a lot of lees....comes down to what it does to the body, mouthfeel and taste et al

there is a danger to balance this all out...dead yeast cells....hs imparting off tastes

if this is an early stage not long after secondary ferment...say less than 3-4 month..i say you are ok.....longer than that...i would rack it off

ps....right now it all looks beautiful to me

Last edited:
Not a very clear picture, I can see the lees but can't tell how far up the wine goes. But, thats nothing. Looks quite normal to me Whiner. No worries there. What kind is it? Lees can get way deeper and thicker depending upon what it was made of, and everything Al said.

Last edited:
looks yummy but give that italian carboy a quick turn to make the lees drop down the sides :)

OK so nothing to worry about then...

We are cooking the RJ Spagnol Grand Cru Cabernet Sauvignon kit.

It basically states to ferment in the primary until it reaches .997 (about 2 weeks) then degas and rack into secondary for another 2-3 weeks. After racking it, we noticed something that appears like white dust in the wine, then a few hours past and it all settled on the bottom. We moved it into the carboy last sunday (Feb 14) or it's brand spanking new.

I'll spank it on the side to make the lees drop :O)

Dan.

Looks like most every red wine kit I've made. Follow the directions and you'll be fine.

Looks yummy.

Cab Sauv, one of my favorites.

I agree with it being very normal and the Italian carboys suck for the reaso that the lees get stuck on those ledges like that but give it a few quick twists every few days and it will all settle out to the bottom.

Just to be sure, stand on your head and take a nother look. Same wine, different perspective. VIVA LA VINO!!!

What kind of yeast is that? Just curious as I've used only a couple types and wonder what good vs poor flocculation actually looks like.

Meh, I'll give it a daily spin and see how it goes. I gave it a quick spin yesterday like Atribune mentioned yesterday and not much moved. Seems like it is glued to the wall.

@Mud: I'll check it out when I get home. I'm not sure if the instruction booklet will give that info...

Latest posts

Back