is there a way to remove the tough metal "collars" from necks of screw-cap btls?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine newbee

Reaction score
While I'm in the questioning mode ....

OK, I'm sanitizing my recycled wine btls. I've tried to get these miserable metal collars (or whatever they're called) from around the necks of the btls, but it's proving a nightmare. I've tried wire cutters, corkscrew, knife, fork, etc -- everything but explosives -- but I'm not getting anywhere. Even tried my reliable ol' beehive tool (steel) -- no luck.

Is there some decent method for getting the metal from off the btls?!

Mitch

May I ask why you want to do this? IMHO, screw-top bottles are essentially useless for the (small-scale) home winemaker. You shouldn't cork 'em, and you shouldn't re-use the screw cap, and AFAIK new screw caps/collars use expensive equipment. (Perhaps someone else can fact-check that last statement...)

May I ask why you want to do this? IMHO, screw-top bottles are essentially useless for the (small-scale) home winemaker. You shouldn't cork 'em, and you shouldn't re-use the screw cap, and AFAIK new screw caps/collars use expensive equipment. (Perhaps someone else can fact-check that last statement...)

Agree Completely - Corking that thin top is just asking for a destroyed bottle of wine.

I wasn't aware there was a difference; so ... corking a recycled screw-cap btl is a no-go? That would mean 80% of the btls I've scraped/cleaned are useless? Damn .... If that's the case, better to find out now, I guess.

Much better now than after a cork breaks that bottle and drops glass into your wine.

You might get away with it at bottling time but then bust one trying to pull a cork. Either way not a happy ending.

I've used screw cap bottles with corks. Make sure you use #8 corks for the screw tops, the #9's are tight and I have broken 1 bottle. I have a floor standing corker, and soak the corks before inserting. The metal collar around the bottles can be tough, but a good utility knife will slice through it, lay the blade on the bottle and push away from you, end of bottle facing away from you. Bit of technique required, but it works. Ive moved away from reusing screwcaps now, but they can be corked. Check the bottles before you reuse them, some are made with thinner glass.
Have cleaned and reused about 400 bottles, it can be hard work getting those labels off, currently have about 600 bottles, reusing as many as we can.

II have been reusing screw top bottles , along with the old screw tops for10-12 years. Absolutely no problems, and I still ave a few full bottles from 2005 that are just fine. I also reuse scotch & bourbon bottles along with their cork stoppers - no problems, no spoiled wine. I totally agree with not corking them.
As far as the aluminum "collars", you can safely remove them with a box cutter. Just slice them away from your hand that is holding the bottle.

Back