Is there a "formula" to make extra to use for topping off?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
While we're in the topic of topping off, without displacing the empty space, how much extra should we start with? For example, lets say I start my wine in a 6 gallon carboy. I realize I will lose some of the volume after transfering to the secondary. Than I am going to rack it again, and lose more. Is there any kind of "formula" to determine how mucj to start with? If I want to end up with 5 gallons of wine, should I start with 7 gallons? I realize this could change depending om wether or not I used a kit, fresh fruit or juice concentrate, is there any sort of a steadfast rule that you generally follow?

Troy

No real formula. It depends how much sediment your wine sets, how aggressively you transfer, and the exact size of your carboys. FYI 6 US gallon carboys differ in size by up to a litre.

Steve

Makes sense Wade/Steve, but if I start with a 6 gal primary, where do I put the other 3/4 gal?
As always I really appreciate all of you all in here for your insight! I hope that my inquisitiveness doesn't begin to sound like I'm being a pest!! I mean that !!
Troy

Just take an empty Wine bottle or two and put an air lock on them. Just like in the pics that wade posted of his Wine room.

See.jpg

Last edited:
Geez, just when I was thinking about sneaking in Wades room!!! Hmm? HrrHrr
Troy
(can I bring a cat or two?, well I have three, but can't fool all of them at the same time!!)

Latest posts

Back