Is that normal??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rou

Junior
Reaction score
Ok so i decided to make my really first wine so it's juice of orange (red one) and added some sugar and yeast like i read at the net forst day a yellow/white thong appeard in the top of the recipient (u can see the residu is still) after one week it fall to the bottom and today it looked like that is that normal? Should i worry it smell good tbh and idk am kinda afraid that i wasted ingredients and and... Is that normal?? (Sorry for bad english it's my third language)

Attachments

• IMG_20220116_090713.jpg
    IMG_20220116_090713.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
Welcome to Winemakingtalk!

From what I can tell, it does look like I would expect. What kind of yeast did you use? How much sugar for how much orange juice?

It is unlikely that anything is fundamentally wrong. I assume that you do not have a hydrometer, which is a way to measure the density of the wine, which, in turn, tells you how much sugar is in the wine. That is the easiest way to monitor the progress of your fermentation. They are not expensive, so if you can find one locally or order one, it would help a lot.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you use a siphon to move the wine to a new, clean vessel. Then I would give it a little taste, and report back on your findings. In particular, I would want to know how sweet (or not) it is.

I realize that English is your third language, but it would help us if you used punctuation. That is, put a period between sentences.

Welcome to Winemakingtalk!

From what I can tell, it does look like I would expect. What kind of yeast did you use? How much sugar for how much orange juice?

It is unlikely that anything is fundamentally wrong. I assume that you do not have a hydrometer, which is a way to measure the density of the wine, which, in turn, tells you how much sugar is in the wine. That is the easiest way to monitor the progress of your fermentation. They are not expensive, so if you can find one locally or order one, it would help a lot.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you use a siphon to move the wine to a new, clean vessel. Then I would give it a little taste, and report back on your findings. In particular, I would want to know how sweet (or not) it is.

I realize that English is your third language, but it would help us if you used punctuation. That is, put a period between sentences.
Hello, thx u for answering me.
Well i put it 1litre of orange with 300g of sugar, the end wasn't that sweet. I wanted to make it like not that alcoholic. And i used instant yeast cause it's really expensive the thonk we really need in my country to do wine (like the hydrometer, wine yeast cost a lot...) If i want to put them in another recipient,can i put then normally like putting water in a cup or shouldn't? isn't the wine become vinegar?? Like can i keep it in the recipient or it's a danger?

Last edited:
Hello, thx u for answering me.
Well i put it 1litre of orange with 300g of sugar, the end wasn't that sweet( i followed a recipe founded at the net). And i used instant yeast cause it's really expensive the thonk we really need in my country to do wine (like the hydrometer, wine yeast cost a lot...) If i want to put them in another recipient,can i put then normally like putting water in a cup or shouldn't? isn't the wine become vinegar?? Like can i keep it in the recipient or it's a danger?

Welcome to wine making talk

Vinegar question; yes it is normal for alcohol to turn to vinegar ie it is exposed to air. , , , For wine we exclude as much air as possible. , , , If you treat this like a beer and refrigerate the vinegar organism should not grow.
Orange juice; a typical US naval orange has 1.050 gravity (sugar measure) which will make a cider strength at about 5.5% alcohol. The US orange juice will be about pH 4.0 which is fairly safe but wines for storage have more acid as pH 3.5. Adding 300 gm sugar to 100% juice will increase the alcohol.
Yeast; a bread yeast should tolerate 5% maybe 6% alcohol and then stop. This means that there probably will be residual sugar (sweetness).
Bottom; it is normal for yeast and fruit pulp to settle to the bottom.

Safety; at a pH of 4 with 6% alcohol it has low risk for food poisoning, the shelf life will be short/ a few months and eventually it would develop off flavors.

Latest posts

Back