Is tannin needed for fruit wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringmany

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've made around 6 batches of fruit wine in the past, specifically 'Danger Daves Dragon Blood Wine'. I've always used tannin in the recipe, but I'm currently out of tannin and won't be able to get some more for at least a week and it's already been fermenting for around 5 days (The shop I was planning to buy from was sold out).

The wine contains blueberry, blackberry, raspberry and lemon juice. Do you think tannin would be essential for this fruit wine, or do you think it won't make a lot of difference, or could potentially make it even better?
Cheers

It will work, as in it will ferment and produce something drinkable. The tannin in Dragons blood serves two purposes (at least) first it provides that pucker, mouth dryness factor that wines generally have and second the tannin helps somewhat with color stability. There are probably other reasons to have it, but the production of alcohol from sugar isn't among those reasons.

I get a headache from that tannin powder and eliminated it from the “recipe” as soon as I could isolate what was causing it. DB is still a wine friends and family ask for.

I get a headache from that tannin powder and eliminated it from the “recipe” as soon as I could isolate what was causing it. DB is still a wine friends and family ask for.
Hi I was wondering about this as I get headaches from tannins. Do the raisins you can mix in provide natural tannin if you know? Just started my first attempt ever at wine (apple). I’m not at the adding tannin stage yet & I was wary. I will put minimum in if I have to. Kind regards

Hi I was wondering about this as I get headaches from tannins. Do the raisins you can mix in provide natural tannin if you know? Just started my first attempt ever at wine (apple). I’m not at the adding tannin stage yet & I was wary. I will put minimum in if I have to. Kind regards
Raisins are usually added for "mouth feel" and as a food source for yeast. I've read they add tannin but I've also read that the drying process neutralizes the tannin. In other words, I don't know for sure.

Google "foods with tannin" and you'll be surprised. Tea, coffee, most berries, bananas, apples, some nuts and beans, and many more. How much tannin? Ah, that's the problem - I'd love to see a chart listing average tannin content.

Latest posts

Back