Is slow fermentation = stuck?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr0v3r

Junior
Reaction score
I racked my batch from the primary fermenter to the carboy 2 days ago and it bubbled away. Today, I noticed the bubbles are coming few and far between. Perhaps one bubble through the airlock every 10 mins or so.

This is a VR Chardonnay kit. the SG was just below 1.010 when I moved it to the carboy, I haven't checked it today.

Is this fermentation stuck or just slow? I raised the temp of the fermentation room from ~68F to ~72F a few hours ago, but I don't believe the liquid has come up in temp as yet.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcomed. thanks in advance

It's time to check the SG of the wine since it was almost complete when you transferred at 1.010. If it's at .996+/- then it's done.

It's time to check the SG of the wine since it was almost complete when you transferred at 1.010. If it's at .996+/- then it's done.

I just checked the SG and it is 0.996. How long can I leave it in the carboy before I need to bottle it? Do I need to top it up in the mean time?

--slg

If you plan to bulk age you can leave it in the carboy for as long as you like after topping off. If you plan on sweetening add 1/2tsp sorbate/gal of finished wine and one camden tablet/gal. whether sweetening or not.

Latest posts

Back