Is my wine fermenting? And is this floating stuff a problem?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF you want to invest in the hardware to measure the SO2 content of your wine you can figure out exactly how much K-Meta (Campden Tablet) you need to add. A little too much is not a big deal If you age the wine you are going to want to make sure you have enough K-Meta in there. Without the equipment to take measurements I just go on an accepted standard of 1/8 tsp of K-meta at each 3 month racking time for my 3 gallon batches. (Campden tablet dosage is 1 tablet per gallon) Some folks go lighter than that but again this is one of those areas where there are differences of opinion. I guess unless (or until) you lose a batch to spoilage going even lighter than the recommended dosage on most bottles - no harm no foul. (Most bottles state 1/4 tsp per 5 or 6 gallons (Depending on the strength of what's in that bottle)

As for the bicarbonate. I would go very lightly. A new wine is normally going to be pretty acidic due to the CO2 in there. (same as bottle coke/pepsi etc) Also dose at about half what you think you need and wait at least a day or two and then check it again. In reality I have never adjusted the acidity of my wines after they ferment. I figure if I started them out at the right point - then they are what they are when it's all said and done.

GREAT that you like it as a new wine. Most new wine has a fair amount of bite to it due to the CO2 and other factors. A lot of that bite and sharpness goes away over time. That's why aging is so important. Being your first wine, whenever you do decide to bottle it. I would try to save several bottles for 1, 2, 3 years and do a little test. It's amazing how they mellow out over time.

When you going to start another batch? And ... what variety will that be? It's apple season in many places right now and an Apple wine is fantastic. They are great as a dry or slightly sweet wine.

IF you want to invest in the hardware to measure the SO2 content of your wine you can figure out exactly how much K-Meta (Campden Tablet) you need to add. A little too much is not a big deal If you age the wine you are going to want to make sure you have enough K-Meta in there. Without the equipment to take measurements I just go on an accepted standard of 1/8 tsp of K-meta at each 3 month racking time for my 3 gallon batches. (Campden tablet dosage is 1 tablet per gallon) Some folks go lighter than that but again this is one of those areas where there are differences of opinion. I guess unless (or until) you lose a batch to spoilage going even lighter than the recommended dosage on most bottles - no harm no foul. (Most bottles state 1/4 tsp per 5 or 6 gallons (Depending on the strength of what's in that bottle)

As for the bicarbonate. I would go very lightly. A new wine is normally going to be pretty acidic due to the CO2 in there. (same as bottle coke/pepsi etc) Also dose at about half what you think you need and wait at least a day or two and then check it again. In reality I have never adjusted the acidity of my wines after they ferment. I figure if I started them out at the right point - then they are what they are when it's all said and done.

GREAT that you like it as a new wine. Most new wine has a fair amount of bite to it due to the CO2 and other factors. A lot of that bite and sharpness goes away over time. That's why aging is so important. Being your first wine, whenever you do decide to bottle it. I would try to save several bottles for 1, 2, 3 years and do a little test. It's amazing how they mellow out over time.

When you going to start another batch? And ... what variety will that be? It's apple season in many places right now and an Apple wine is fantastic. They are great as a dry or slightly sweet wine.

Thanks Scooter!

I figured I would just do a batch a year, when we have grapes, but now I do kind of want to try something else.. apple wine sounds great! Is the process still pretty similar?

Also, do you think it’s fine that the airlock really isn’t bubbling? I’m trying to decide if I should be worried and switch something up, or if it’s still okay just hanging out for the next couple months.

Trish - be warned - you fixing to get advice from a newbie; From what I've read on here you don't need to be worrying about the airlock not bubbling. Nor can you use that fact to determine whether or not the fermentation is still active.

Trish - be warned - you fixing to get advice from a newbie; From what I've read on here you don't need to be worrying about the airlock not bubbling. Nor can you use that fact to determine whether or not the fermentation is still active.

Thank you! Newbie - or not - I appreciate all the advice, I’ll take what I can get! Maybe my next batch, or third batch, I’ll feel more confident with what I’m doing. My motto is - just don’t screw it up too bad!

I am more addicted to making wine than I am of drinking it. I love to give bottles to friends and have them brag about how good it is. Of course it's all a matter of personal taste. Btw, we do love sitting outside right before dark and sipping on a glass :) Enjoy your winemaking, keep notes, and just remember there's always the next batch :)

To answer your question about Apple wine.... it depends. Making wine (Or hard cider) from fresh apples is a lot of work. OR if you can go to an orchard that presses their apples and buy it without additives (other than ascorbic acid) That's the easiest route.

With fresh apples you need to core them, press them (Or use a slow juicer like an Omega Juicer)

Also you can just make hard apple cider with the apple juice or apples but adding zero sugar, just add a yeast. OR add sugar to get the ABV up into the wine range of 10% or higher.
Either way Apple Cider or Apple Wine are both great. Some folks like it dry some slightly sweet. Either way is a win.

On the bubbling... After fermentation is over the only bubbling should be one of two things, A MLF (MaLoactic Fermentation) and/or CO2 gassing off. Both are fine for Grape wines and completely normal. That bubbling may stop and start but not to worry if you see nothing other than perhaps a raised 'float' in your airlock.

Just keep up the 3 month racking schedule for 9-12 months and you should have a wine ready to bottle. (Remember to add K-meta at racking time - normal dosage is 1/4 (one fourth) teaspoon for 6 gallons)

Last edited:
I added a packet of yeast to six gallons of juice (Zin) about two days ago and no action yet.

Should I be concerned? What should I do?

Thanks.

Keep a check with your hydrometer. I had a batch of Cab Sav juice that never showed a sign of fermentation but the SG dropped right on schedule.

I added a packet of yeast to six gallons of juice (Zin) about two days ago and no action yet.

Should I be concerned? What should I do?

Thanks.

I can't say because I'm new to this myself, but you might want to give a bit more info, such as temp, yeast used, the juice used (was it a pail you bought or was it pressed by yourself...), prep, etc.

When I started my Pinot Grigio, I started with a 6 gallon pail of Lodi juice, with a SG of 1.090. I added a 1/4 tsp of K-meta then waited 24 hr to pitch the yeast. In less than 24 hrs, fermentation was going really strong.

When I did a kit wine, I just added sugar and water to the extract, pitched the yeast. 24 hrs later, when I checked, there was activity.. not much, but you could see bubbles coming up from the must.

Neither of the above were under airlock during primary fermentation. But were started in a 7.9 gal bucket with a towel over the top to keep dust and bugs out.

Others could probably tell you better based on the info you post, but without knowing more detail. But if it were me, I'd stir the must to make sure there was oxygen in the must and use a yeast starter, instead of just pitching the dry yeast. That way you know the yeast is alive when you pitch it.

It hasn't happened to me with wine yeast, but when I've baked bread, I have had bad packets of yeast..

Last edited:
Yes, I forgot to add, I had that juice in a bucket, covered with a towel, and stirred twice a day. I never even saw a bubble from the must.

Yes, I forgot to add, I had that juice in a bucket, covered with a towel, and stirred twice a day. I never even saw a bubble from the must.

Humm. Try hydrating this.. add about a 1/2 cup of water with a tsp of sugar in a glass then pitch your dry yeast in there.. wait about 10 to 15 mins and see if you've yeast activity. If you do, you know the yeast is good, then pitch it into your must. This way, you know the issue isn't the yeast.

I expect my must bubbled when I wasn't looking. The SG dropped on schedule so I quit worrying.

P
I expect my must bubbled when I wasn't looking. The SG dropped on schedule so I quit worrying.

Perfect! I forgot I've read others say even with no visible activity, they had fermentation going.. and they only knew from taking hydrometer reading. I had completely forgotten about that because I hadn't experienced it myself. Thanks for the reminder!!

Good luck with the wine!!

Hello there! Back with some more questions - I racked my wine again today, and it still seems to be doing well! So I’m looking towards the nexts steps which will either be racking again or bottling. It’s cleared up a lot, but still has farther to go and I’m thinking it should result in some sediment in the next couple months. How many times do you usually rack? So far, mine has gone from primary fermentation bucket to carboy, and then racked twice after that. Will it be a problem to rack it at least one more time? Also, do you add k meta every time you rack? So far I have.

Let’s say the wine clears up and I’m ready to start thinking about bottling. I’ll need to sweeten it up, so would I do that right before bottling? Is there anything else I should do/add at that point to make sure fermentation has stopped?

It’s getting close! Thanks again for all your help!

Attachments

• 9624C058-9B4B-45C3-B5A3-EE81BF60B598.jpeg
    9624C058-9B4B-45C3-B5A3-EE81BF60B598.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 18
Hello there! Back with some more questions - I racked my wine again today, and it still seems to be doing well! So I’m looking towards the nexts steps which will either be racking again or bottling. It’s cleared up a lot, but still has farther to go and I’m thinking it should result in some sediment in the next couple months. How many times do you usually rack? So far, mine has gone from primary fermentation bucket to carboy, and then racked twice after that. Will it be a problem to rack it at least one more time? Also, do you add k meta every time you rack? So far I have.

Let’s say the wine clears up and I’m ready to start thinking about bottling. I’ll need to sweeten it up, so would I do that right before bottling? Is there anything else I should do/add at that point to make sure fermentation has stopped?

It’s getting close! Thanks again for all your help!

If you get more sediment, rack it again. As for adding Kmeta, use the 3 month rule, unless you have to equipment to test the level.

When you're ready to bottle, make sure to add sobate since you'll be sweetening it up some... and depending on when the last time you added Kmeta, you might need to dose that too.

BTW, after you're added sorbate and sweetened, I'd wait a few days before bottling to make sure fermentation doesn't start up again...

Oh... one other thing... congratulations on your patience.. I started making wine in September and because I've been so impatient, I've used fining agents and have bottled multiple batches ready. I think I've bottled like around 150 bottles already.. In fact I was cleaning bottles tonight to bottle my Pinot Grigio, which I started from juice ... It'll get bottled tomorrow.. That one I started back in mid September.

Last edited:
You can bottle your concord wine "as is" once you feel it's cleared. If you want to drink your wine sweeter, pour the bottle of wine into a decanter before you are ready to drink, and add some sugar, stir the wine in the decanter to dissolve it, and taste to your liking. Then Chill and serve. That way you won't have to add Potassium Sorbate "another chemical" to your wine. I also make concord wine along with a few other varieties.

Another tasty option is to mix/blend in the decanter concord wine with a less expensive bottle (winking owl Aldi $2.95) of merlot. 1 part concord wine and 3 parts of the merlot taste great.

Have fun with your wine. You are doing well. Also, try Lalvin 71b yeast the next time you ferment your concord grapes. It is great with concord juice. leaves it fruity and ready to drink sooner.

As far as your Apple wine thought. Buy two gallons of apple juice (no additives) citric acid is ok if it's an ingredient. Pour into a 5-gallon bucket, add 3 tsp pectic enzyme(it helps it clear the wine quicker), add 5 cups of sugar, 6 cups if you want a little higher alcohol content and stir to dissolve. If you have molasses add about 8 oz and stir, Slightly bruise/crack 15 whole peppercorns and add those to the primary. For apple wine, I use Lalvin EC1118, because Lalvin 71B eats Malic acid, Malic is where you get that apple taste. EC1118 is a Champagne yeast and will power through the fermentation without requiring help from starter wine additives. Also if you have them, peel and slice up a banana and add to the primary, or dice a couple of handful of raisins. Follow the same steps as you did with your original concord wine, Ferment, Move to Carboy, rack, rack, when clear then bottle. Good winemaking.

Concord can have a strong taste and aging is supposed to help. On your next batch, use the skins for a second run and add white grape juice to enhance. Much milder and less aging required.

Alright I think I’m nearing the end. These pictures almost make the wine look clearer that it looks in person, and I am worried that it’s still a little too cloudy to bottle, but there is hardly any sediment after 3 months sitting. Will stabilizing help? Or is there something else I should do? Also any advice/guidance on stabilizing and ending fermentation before I sweeten and bottle? I am still very unsure about this process. Any guidance or resources are greatly appreciated!9795F6A6-7FEC-4753-BF2D-A4512A12F509.jpeg944AFE5C-9547-4E9C-984B-3C95670295B3.jpeg

I agree that it looks pretty clear, but not perfectly clear. I think you have two equally valid options:
1. Bottle it as is, knowing that your wine won't be super duper clear, but that is okay!
2. Try some fining agents. Go to your local home-brew store (LHBS) or online source and get something like SuperKleer or other brand name. What you want is a two-part treatment of chitosan and kieselsol.

Congratulations on your patience!

Latest posts

Back