Is MLF done? Thoughts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VSR-Rich

Junior
Reaction score
Hey fellow Wine Enthusiasts, I started my 6 gallon Cabernet Sauvignon MLF on 10/17. Roughly every week I would take a chromatography reading.

Take a look at the progress and let me know if you think MLF is complete. There are still tiny bubbles that’s tripping my airlock once every 42 seconds. I SUSPECT it could might be residual CO2 because I haven’t degassed yet... but maybe MLF isn’t quite done yet? I’m looking for your feedback.

Thank you.

10/17
IMG_6650.JPG

10/23
IMG_6651.JPG

11/1
IMG_6652.JPG

11/5
IMG_6653.JPG

I think you still have some more to go, I'd go another 30 days and test once more. Malic fermentation is usually 60 days or more...I suspect the bubbles you are seeing are still active malic fermentation, you really want to wait until your wine goes still.

Okay great, thanks for the advice Wx and Fred, I’ll let it go longer.

That said, I just got my 5 gallon barrel from JK Cooperage. I’ll use this downtime to read up how to prep it for aging wine.

Okay great, thanks for the advice Wx and Fred, I’ll let it go longer.

That said, I just got my 5 gallon barrel from JK Cooperage. I’ll use this downtime to read up how to prep it for aging wine.

Just fill with water and put a bung in it. Let it sit a few days. Drain and fill with wine.

Latest posts

Back