Is it too early to start thinking about 2017 season?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6eQ78HCGEA[/ame]

Let the show begin! One ton of Tempranillo with @4Score and @Busabill n Friday, a half ton of Chardonnay wth the same group on Saturday. It looks like the big two ton ferment of Cab Sauv will be next week some time, oh my!

Looks like our order will be ready to pick up on the 15th, or possible 22nd. Up to almost 1000lbs this year. Ended up at .80/lb. plus the gas for a 450 mile drive. As others have mentioned the central valley Pinots aren't available or are sold out but Colavita does have northern coastal Pinot avail. at a little higher cost, 49.00 a lug I think. I'll probably throw in 3 lugs for Lori's personal stash. Bottled 42 gallons sunday in less than 3 hours with just 2 of us. Carboys get a few weeks off to rest up for their 2017 fill ups. We're doing a Cab with a splash of Merlot and for the first time a Zin blend 50% zin, 25% merlot and 25% cab field blend.
Mike

Empties.JPG

We're doing a Cab with a splash of Merlot and for the first time a Zin blend 50% zin, 25% merlot and 25% cab field blend.
Mike

Question from the unindoctrinated... a three grape field bled? Posts I've seen indicate 2 is fine, but more than that is trouble. Always thought it was because you'd want to do different trial blends before settling in on what tastes best. But, I'm a noob.

About half of my 2016 wine will end up as a blend of Zin, Cab, Syrah and Petite Sirah.

@jgmann67 - I found an interesting list that had a number of "classic" blend percentages of Burgandy and Claret style wines. Of course I can't find the site now that I want to re-visit it. The Zin, Cab & Merlot combo came up with percentages all over the place and this 50-25-25 just sounded right to me. I don't think I'm skilled enough yet to know how well this will work out but I just don't see how this combo can come out bad. I do think you're right that ideally making all separately and blending would be the best but limited space time and experience are really the reasons for going this way this year.
Mike

Great Minds think alike! My 2013 Tres Rojo's Blend was exactly that ratio and turned out very, very nice. Won a few medals as well with it.

The Zin, Cab & Merlot combo came up with percentages all over the place and this 50-25-25 just sounded right to me. I don't think I'm skilled enough yet to know how well this will work out but I just don't see how this combo can come out bad.

IMG_1928.jpg

Question from the unindoctrinated... a three grape field bled? Posts I've seen indicate 2 is fine, but more than that is trouble. Always thought it was because you'd want to do different trial blends before settling in on what tastes best. But, I'm a noob.

BTW, that Melot of mine that you've tried from Chilean grapes was 70% Merlot, 15% Cab Sauv and 15% Malbec. I'll bring another bottle if you remind me next time I visit. I just think I overdid the Tannin Extra Riche in that one, hoping time will fix that.

BTW, that Melot of mine that you've tried from Chilean grapes was 70% Merlot, 15% Cab Sauv and 15% Malbec. I'll bring another bottle if you remind me next time I visit. I just think I overdid the Tannin Extra Riche in that one, hoping time will fix that.

For me it just begs the question - should I just field blend the Cab and Merlot up front, then add the PV to taste after a year aging.

Pics, we want some pics! :r

It's 5:40am and the day is beginning. I need to check on the crew that is harvesting Petite Sirah in the community, then it's off to get one ton of Tempranillo with @4Score and @BusaBill Let the fun begin!

And there's the man with the superhuman palate! (How could I forget that YouTube tasting notes video). The ace up your sleeve. Great pics!

You are right! @4Score's super human son is meeting me at 7am tomorrow to go get 1,100 pounds of Chardonnay. Back to back wine making days in 110 degree weather, arg.

@NorCal did you toss in a few fork-fulls of whole cluster with that Tempranillo? I don't have the option with frozen must, but we've done it a few times with fresh Amador fruit and had good results, additional spice, no need to fear green stems at low rates. Looks like you guys are having fun!

Latest posts

Back