Is it ready to try

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunder2000

Reaction score
I started some banana a the 23rd of Dec. It went through the primary stage. I racked it from primary to carboy 4 days later. I racked it off lees about 4 days ago. Now its really clear half way down the carboy and doesnt show any sign of fermenting the lock is neutral.

I would wait untill it is finished. totaly clear. I'm sure it will improve with ageing also.

That don't sound right if you started this wine on Dec. 23 and fermentation is over already. I started a batch of Raspberry on Nov. 25 and it is just ending its fermentation. Most fruit wines ferment a lot longer than kit wines. It does depend on the type of yeast used though. What is the SG of this wine? If your SG is where it is supposed to be then let it clear all the way and then stabilize. What recipe are you going by?

Smurfe :)

IT was a recipe in a book called The winemaker's recipe handbook. 3lbs fresh bananas,1.5 raisins 7pts water 2.25 sugar 3 tsp acid blend .25 tannin 1tsp nutrient 1 pack wine yeast. Starting SG of 1.095 when I put the yeast to it. I cant believe it either. It looks like its almost half way clear. This is my first ever time trying to make wine I dont know what to think. The worst part is I cant tell you what kind of yeast I used. I think it was 1116 but I cant say for sure.

With a starting SG of 1095 your alcohol will be around 13%.

Measure the sg and if it is below 1000 it will be finished.
Indeed this is possible within a week I have seen it before.
The circumstances must be perfect for the yeast and with banana's that is
possible because yeast LOVE banana's.

Just measure the SG and then wait until clear.

Luc

Latest posts

Back