Is it possible with Concentrate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez

Junior
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a beginner winemaker. Unfortunately wine, beer and any other alchoholic beverages are forbidden in my country, Iran. (Whether you sell or buy or drink it) So About 3 years ago I decided to make my own wine and beer. (Like many other Iranians) I'm more expert in making beer than making wine. I have a question. Could we make wine from "concentrate"? Making wine with grapes are very difficult for me (because of my conditions). What is the main difference between the wine that is obtained from grapes with the wine obtained with concentrate? What is the difference between their taste? Do you have any experience? By the way sorry for my terrible English...

concentrate is just grape or fruit juice with the water removed. add back the water to the specific gravity desired. the wine will be a little thin. additives can be tannin powder, oak cubes, or raisins. ferment as you would beer only takes 4-5 dayus. rack into another vessel add SO2. wait until wine clears. rack again let it age a few months add SO2 before bottling.

Hi. I'm a beginner winemaker. Unfortunately wine, beer and any other alchoholic beverages are forbidden in my country, Iran. (Whether you sell or buy or drink it) So About 3 years ago I decided to make my own wine and beer. (Like many other Iranians) I'm more expert in making beer than making wine. I have a question. Could we make wine from "concentrate"? Making wine with grapes are very difficult for me (because of my conditions). What is the main difference between the wine that is obtained from grapes with the wine obtained with concentrate? What is the difference between their taste? Do you have any experience? By the way sorry for my terrible English...

Welcome!

concentrate is just grape or fruit juice with the water removed. add back the water to the specific gravity desired. the wine will be a little thin. additives can be tannin powder, oak cubes, or raisins. ferment as you would beer only takes 4-5 dayus. rack into another vessel add SO2. wait until wine clears. rack again let it age a few months add SO2 before bottling.
Well. New questions are made in my head. How much tannin powder I should add per 1 litre. What about oak cubes and raisins? Also what is SO2 and how I can add this one?

I just wanted to say that your English is amazing. I’ll let the experts answer your questions.

Welcome! Look at Jack Keller’s website. Google Jack Keller wine and you find him. I’m rotten at pasting. Anyhow he gives a lot of recipes and advice on making wine from everything. Oak is great. Chips, cubes, spirals, powder. You probably should wait until the secondary for oak though you can toss chips or powder into the primary. I’ve never used powder but have put one cup of chips in the prima of five gallons ( 19 liters). Tannin? Add a little, not much more than a 1/4 teaspoon per liter if that much. Raisins are good. Again a cup or so for 19 liters of grape juice. For some fruit wines you need a pound for 4 liters. Maybe that will get you started. Try wine from different things. Tea, fruit, flowers.

Welcome! Look at Jack Keller’s website. Google Jack Keller wine and you find him. I’m rotten at pasting. Anyhow he gives a lot of recipes and advice on making wine from everything. Oak is great. Chips, cubes, spirals, powder. You probably should wait until the secondary for oak though you can toss chips or powder into the primary. I’ve never used powder but have put one cup of chips in the prima of five gallons ( 19 liters). Tannin? Add a little, not much more than a 1/4 teaspoon per liter if that much. Raisins are good. Again a cup or so for 19 liters of grape juice. For some fruit wines you need a pound for 4 liters. Maybe that will get you started. Try wine from different things. Tea, fruit, flowers.
Thanks. I will google Jack Kellers. Another couple questions. What do you mean by chips and spiral powders? Do I need crush raisins before pouring? And finally what do you mean by try wine from tea or flowers?

Jack Keller has recipes for wine made with everything. Tea is supposed to make a good wine. I made dandelion wine this year. Strawberry is wonderful and rhubarb is very dry. Oak comes in all forms. Powder, chips, cubes or twisted curls. You may be limited though. I have no idea what you can get. You can even take dried pieces of oak and toast them.

If you have been successful with beer, wine is easier. Wine is more forgiving and time is more flexible.
Look at the recipes on this site. You can get tons of ideas. Look at Skeeter pee, dragon blood and mead. Look for Joes old fashion mead. Honey, oranges and bread yeast. It really works.

Jack Keller has recipes for wine made with everything. Tea is supposed to make a good wine. I made dandelion wine this year. Strawberry is wonderful and rhubarb is very dry. Oak comes in all forms. Powder, chips, cubes or twisted curls. You may be limited though. I have no idea what you can get. You can even take dried pieces of oak and toast them.

If you have been successful with beer, wine is easier. Wine is more forgiving and time is more flexible.
Look at the recipes on this site. You can get tons of ideas. Look at Skeeter pee, dragon blood and mead. Look for Joes old fashion mead. Honey, oranges and bread yeast. It really works.
Wow. Thank you for you complete respond

I’m interested to know what you can get as far as yeast, concentrates, containers, bottles?

Please keep in mind that Jack Keller Recipes are low on flavor and high on alcohol content. This is a known issue with them. Most folks who make fruit or non-grape wines increase the fruit content to get the flavor into an acceptable range.

I’m interested to know what you can get as far as yeast, concentrates, containers, bottles?
Actually I wanted to buy great quantities of concentrate. (Which is very expencive) (over 25kg) and jack keller's recipes have small amount of concentrates. Also there are some things which is Inaccessible for an Iranian winemaker. Like "acid blend, pectic enzyme, grape tannin, citric acid, tartaric acid, cream of tartar, Oak Chips and..." maybe I can find citric acid for example. But I don't know that I could use that in an edible material and it is a big risk.

However I vint a new container. The only problem of my einemaking is my container which made if plastic. This is a picture of my work :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191112-184927_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191112-184927_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Please keep in mind that Jack Keller Recipes are low on flavor and high on alcohol content. This is a known issue with them. Most folks who make fruit or non-grape wines increase the fruit content to get the flavor into an acceptable range.
Do you know any other source which have different recipes?

This forum has recipes. Also EC Kraus has recipes. I think the Keller recipes are good and the amounts of fruit are the same as most other recipes. Everyone has a different opinion. Anyway black tea works for tannin.

This forum has recipes. Also EC Kraus has recipes. I think the Keller recipes are good and the amounts of fruit are the same as most other recipes. Everyone has a different opinion. Anyway black tea works for tannin.
Nice. Could you tell me how many grams of tea (which will be brewed by hot water) is equal with 10 grams of tannin?

I don’t know the exact conversation but people and recipes of old call for a cup of strong tea. I’d use a cup less water in that case.

Latest posts

Back