Is it just me....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This made me think... cellar is full and holds just under 2,000 (not including converted carboy racks) and according to Cellar Tracker, I have just over 1,000 in commercial wines, plus another 30 or so large formats. That leaves about 1,000 in “my” wines, plus 60 in carboys, and 450 in 30 & 60 gallon barrels. Need to up my game, can’t take it with me......

One of the vineyards that I buy grapes from had a room (1000+) filled with bottles of wine, made by the previous owner of the vineyard. The new owner said there were a few gems, but most of it was bad due to expired corks. It seemed like such a waste and I made a note then to not make more wine than I can consume or find homes for.

How do you keep up with all of those?

With the commercial wines, I keep track of them through a program called CellarTracker. Tracks wine, drinking dates, and location within the cellar for me, so I don't lose track of bottles and when they should be consumed. It does a lot more as well, valuations, professional reviews, peer reviews, to name a few.........

With the wines I've made, it's much easier, they're pretty much stored and labelled in big blocks of 30 or more bottles. As the kit wines that I used to produce dwindle, there are fewer variations in the grape wines since I'm producing one large batch per year in either 30 or 60 gallon lots.

One of the vineyards that I buy grapes from had a room (1000+) filled with bottles of wine, made by the previous owner of the vineyard. The new owner said there were a few gems, but most of it was bad due to expired corks. It seemed like such a waste and I made a note then to not make more wine than I can consume or find homes for.
You can always find a home for wine at my house! Keep on making!

Made 5 gallons my first year and thought I had a lot of wine. It was gone before it had aged enough to open the first bottle. Next year I made 15 gallons - not bad, but not a lot of wine. It was down to three bottles just one year after bottling. Then I made 40 gallons and a reasonable number are still here. My plan is for at least 60 gallons this year but I need to build another wine rack. Now I think 100 bottles is enough as long as there is at least another 10 gallons in bulk aging and another batch or two started.

Made 5 gallons my first year and thought I had a lot of wine. It was gone before it had aged enough to open the first bottle. Next year I made 15 gallons - not bad, but not a lot of wine. It was down to three bottles just one year after bottling. Then I made 40 gallons and a reasonable number are still here. My plan is for at least 60 gallons this year but I need to build another wine rack. Now I think 100 bottles is enough as long as there is at least another 10 gallons in bulk aging and another batch or two started.

I used to think 60 gallons a year might be enough as well. Now I have about 1000 bottles in the basement and about 100 gallons in bulk aging. I think once you get carboys wet, they multiply or something.

I think once you get carboys wet, they multiply or something.

LOL ... yeah sort of seems that way ... I started out that way as well (a lot of us probably did) .... 5 Gallons seemed like a lot, then 20 gallons seemed like a lot, then 50, then 100.... Then there are all of the experimental batches of Country wines that accumulate... I make far more than I can drink nowadays. I usually give most of the product away as gifts... Trust me, I drink plenty of the stuff too ;)

Latest posts

Back