Is it just me or do some red kits of a faint hot dog water aftertaste?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I've made two red kits, both from RJS. One was the Sangiovese Merlot blend, and the other was the Chilean Trio (Malbec, Cab, Carmenere.) I popped a bottle from my first batch I made (2018) last night. It tasted great but there was a weird faint aftertaste. If I could compare it to something, I'd describe it as boiled hot dogs (yummy!!!!). Just out of curiosity, I tried my latest one that was bottled back in June and it had the same exact (to the tee) faint hot dog water aftertaste. The thing is, the white RJS kits I've made haven't had that flavor.

Here are some variables from my notes I took into consideration:
Yeast:
D254 for the Sangiovese Merlot and RC212 on the Chilean Trio.

Sangiovese was 3 years old, Chilean was 2.

Oak:
Sangio Merlot had a Medium French Oak spiral in for a month. Chilean had 2.5 oz of bourbon soaked heavy Hungarian cubes in for two months.

SG
Sangio Merlot 1.090 Chilean 1.100

Environment (I know this'll be controversial. While temps did fluctuate by at most ~5 degrees, both were pretty consistent during the entire process.)
Sangio Merlot was approx. 67 degrees post fermentation. Chilean was 62 post fermentation.

From my research, I'm finding the "meaty aftertaste (bacon or maybe boiled hot dog?) to be found in older wines, or those with Brett. Brett can occur in kit wines it appears; even after bottling. It could also be over oaking. Your wines are not very old so my suspicion is too much oak, heavy tannins, or a tiny amount of Brett.

On the other hand, have you lately tried a similar commercial wne?- it could be your taste buds. Has anyone else noticed? Time for a wine tasting it seems.

Finally, is it unpleasant?

From my research, I'm finding the "meaty aftertaste (bacon or maybe boiled hot dog?) to be found in older wines, or those with Brett. Brett can occur in kit wines it appears; even after bottling. It could also be over oaking. Your wines are not very old so my suspicion is too much oak, heavy tannins, or a tiny amount of Brett.

On the other hand, have you lately tried a similar commercial wne?- it could be your taste buds. Has anyone else noticed? Time for a wine tasting it seems.

Finally, is it unpleasant?
Interesting! While I couldn't find a commercial wine that had the same exact blend, but my girlfriend and I did a tasting to compare mine with a 2017 Sangiovese and a 2018 Cab Malbec blend. Both of the commercial wines had much more present tannin and were full-bodied. Mine tasted like diluted versions but. It isn't unpleasant and doesn't linger forever, but both of us agreed there was that awkward taste.

My god, I haven't had a boiled hot dog in decades! That used to be a staple of mine. You brought back memories!
Same here! When I tasted it, I had flashbacks of when I was a bachelor living in a shoebox apartment. Boiled hot dogs and Ramen were my go to! Oh goody.... I guess I know what I'm going to have for dinner tomorrow. 🤣

are the wine bottles used? could be from them
Brand new. I had purchased them through a wholesale website, but I did go through the cleaning and sanitizing process.

Back