Quantcast

Is it hard to finish MLF with White Labs WLP675?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
Title says it all.

I bought three doses of WLP675. All of the other cultures I looked at were more expensive and the smallest doses were packaged for 66 gallons while I only have around 12 gallons. But I found mention on another site (which shall go unnamed here) that nobody ever gets White Labs cultures to finish and you're better off spending the extra $.

I appreciate your thoughts in advance.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
I used that one long time ago and wasn't happy, however back then I didn't check pH levels.
If you want to buy a different cheap alternative for 6gal batch is the Wyeast 4007, it will complete MLF but the wine must be in a good pH range, in the 3.4x is good.

Another alternative for 12gal batch would be Viniflora CH16, never used it but I heard on this forum that it is ok as long as the pH is within good range.

For a 12gal batch, I'd just get the VP41 or may try Viniflora CH16.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
Ok I have CH16 on the way. It will be here Wednesday. I assume I can just add it on top of the White Labs culture, correct?

Thx

ceeaton

Sixth year
Reaction score
Yes, you can sprinkle it on. I always rehydrate with Acti-Malo to give it some nutrients since I never feed my MLB otherwise. I'm sure it will work either way, just remember to stir every few days w/o agitating too much and adding O2.

Latest posts