Is it done fermenting yet? beginner here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyLuke314

Junior
Reaction score
I am by no means an experienced winemaker. I have made 2 small gallon batches that were somewhat successful and I am on my 3rd. This is my first 5 gallon batch. I am making it using juice concentrate. I started this batch on 3/28 so it has been exactly a month now that it has been fermenting. I have it on a heating pad and the temperature strip on the side has been around 75degrees through the whole fermentation. My problem is that I am still seeing some action on my airlock. Is this just excess CO2 and my wine is done , or is it still fermenting? any and all advice is welcome. like i said before i am a complete beginner but very anxious to taste my batch of apple cherry wine. Thank you all in advance!

A five gallon batch can easily bubble off co2 for another month if you aren't degassing it some how.
Have you racked it.
That helps get gas out of it.
It needs to sit and clear too.
Five gallons is more of a commitment, rack it and give it some time.
And yes measure your specific gravity

If you are below 1.0 and get the same reading 3 days in a row, you're done fermenting. At that temperature the ferment was probably done in less than 2 weeks. Rack and get it off the gross lees soon. If the ferment is done, you start stabilizing and aging. If the action in the trap just off gassing and you have a lot of head space in the primary, you risk oxidation waiting any longer.

Latest posts

Back