WineXpert Is buying a Winexpert kit 'treasonous' to FVW?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
It feels very strange to open a Winexpert kit (Muller-Thurgau) for the first time in probably 5 years. I have already made a confession to George, as the only kitmaker that produces Muller-Thurgau is Winexpert! (I thought)

As most of you know, FVW has not been allowed to carry Winexpert kits for several years following a dispute with Winexpert regarding carrying competing kitmakers' products. When I told George I had to go across town to his local competitor (a 'Homebrew Headquarters') because they could get me a Muller-Thurgau, George laughed ruefully. He explained RJ Spagnols has carried a Muller-Thurgau in their catalog for about a year, but they didn't tell the distributor until very recently, so the distributors didn't stock them. When George found out it would take about a month to get it to his store, he understood why I would go ahead and get it from his competitor.
smiley6.gif

How dare you come on this forum with that filth!!! LOL, I myself have a Stags Leap Merlot Ill be starting soon but yoiu didnt hear that from me.

I ask George for a Vinmetrica 300. He said he would get me one and he will start selling them. Thanks George.

I think the WE whites are very good. The Muller-Thurgau is one of there best I think! No treason here.

Would you like a last cigarette?
smiley4.gif

firing-squad-picture.jpeg

I think George did the right thing. If someone was trying to strong arm my business by telling me what I could and couldn't sell I would have told them to hit the highway as well.
I made my first WE ever last month. Couldn't resist the LE Meritage from Red Mountain in WA State. I also needed a break in kit for my 3rd Vadai so it was good timing I suppose. More than likely this will be my first and last WE kit for a lot of reasons.

Mike, I agree about Winexpert's sales/marketing practices. I don't believe the winemaking kit industry is big enough to warrant a Coke vs. Pepsi-type faceoff, or to demand pledges of loyalty from retailers. If they are proud of the product they offer, I would expect them to be ready to compete with others; if they are not proud of their products...well, I guess I wouldn't want any alternatives stocked in the same store either.
smiley21.gif
I suppose they might argue that they can maintain stronger profit margins on their WE kits by not allowing retailers to carry other brands' kits that might drive down prices, but that's hardly a valid argument to make to consumers.

BTW, that's not you on the lower right of the photo, is it?
smiley36.gif
I didn't think you were that short - that guy is at least a foot shorter than the others, *while kneeling*!

My Muller-Thurgau is now down to S.G. of 1.002 - time to rack! Any idea why "elderflowers" in particular are used to add that floral scent/note to this wine? Why that flower rather than another? Is it simply because elderflowers are a traditional flavoring additive for that part of Europe? Or is it a subtle tie-in to Harry Potter (and the Elder Wand)?
smiley2.gif
I know of elderberry wine (never drank any), but I know nothing about elderflowers except what wikipedia tells me.
smiley4.gif

omg, Mike!!!! That is hilarious!!!!!! Great picture of you!! The bottom guy on the right, right?
smiley36.gif

Kinda looks like a cousin of mine but no its not me! Funny thing is I was searching for a pic to put in and saw that one and posted it but didn't even look all that close at until someone pointed it out that it looks like one of the guys faces was photoshopped in!
smiley36.gif

I mentioned to George the other day that I won a silver in Winemaking Mag contest. He asked what kit and I had to fess up that it was a WE Montepulciano. He thought that that was one of WE's better kits. I think WE has some good kits and very much wish I could get them from FVW and have told that to WE's Tim V. The Dallas retailer for WE is a joke and the Houston retailer is better but doesn't know what the word SALE means. Both are primarily brew shops so they are quite happy to stick to one brand of wine kits. I suspect even with 3 other brands of kits George would still sell more WE than the other Dallas shop. Very short sided decision by WE.

WE's tunnel vision

I agree Tony. I don't have reason or need to buy many WE kits, but once every couple years I realize sadly that they aren't readily available. The Dallas WE distributor *is* pretty clueless - the one time I went in there to get a WE kit, they hardly spoke to me, and did nothing to try to sell me anything else. Nice enough folks, but they seemed kind of confused why anyone would bother making wine. Not a good reflection on WE, and they hardly encourage anyone to buy WE products. FVW would multiply their sales 10x or more.

Why did they pick on George? There are other retailers who handle WE along with other brands, e.g. Winemaking Superstore (FL) Cellar Craft, WE, RJS; Grape & Granary (OH) WE, RJS; Beer & Wine Supply (MO) RJS, WE; More Wine (CA) WE, Cellar Craft to name a few of which I am aware. There are probably many more than this. It would seem like George is being singled out for "special" treatment for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its because he carried all 4.

That makes sense but I disagree with their logic. George moves a lot of product and they have cut themselves out of a major opportunity. I never accused executives of being intelligent.

Another question, Doesn't the same company that owns the WE trademark also now own Cellar Craft?

Rocky,

If you owned a business and worked 60+ hours a week at it and one of your suppliers called you up and said you either stop selling Brand X or else what would you tell them?

George rightfully told them to take an effing hike and I fully support him and respect him even more as a business man for doing so.

Mike, I was criticizing WE's management for their decision to force George's hand, not George. I meant they (WE) lost a great outlet for their product in doing so because George is a high volume mover of kits. You are right, I would have done the same thing as George did. Sorry for the confusion.

OK, sorry about not reading the post better! Its been a busy day and it looked like you were inferring something completely different.

Definitely my bad!

Latest posts

Back